Use of 3-D Digital Image Correlation to Characterize the Mechanical Behavior of a Fiber Reinforced Refractory Castable
- 615 Downloads
Refractory castables exhibit very low fracture strain levels when subjected to tension or bending. The main objective of this work is to show that 3-D digital image correlation (3-D DIC) allows such low strain levels to be measured. Compared to mechanical extensometer measurements, 3-D DIC makes it possible to reach similar strain resolution levels and to avoid the problem of position dependance related to the heterogeneous nature of the strain and to strain localization phenomena. First, the 3-D DIC method and the experimental set-up are presented. Secondly, an analysis of the 3-D DIC method is performed in order to evaluate the resolution, the standard uncertainty and the spatial resolution for both displacement and strain measurements. An optimized compromise between strain spatial resolution and standard uncertainty is reached for the configuration of the experimental bending test. Finally, the macroscopic mechanical behavior of a fiber reinforced refractory castable (FRRC) is studied using mechanical extensometry and 3-D DIC in the case of tensile and four-point bending tests. It is shown that similar results are obtained with both methods. Furthermore, in the case of bending tests on damaged castable, 3-D DIC results demonstrate the ability to determine Young’s modulus from heterogeneous strain fields better than by using classical beam deflection measurements.
Keywords3-D digital image correlation Refractory castable Fiber Full-field techniques Uncertainty assessment Resolution Spatial resolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cloud G (1998) Optical methods of engineering analysis. Cambridge University Press, iSBN 0-521-45087-X.Google Scholar
- 2.Rastogi P (ed.) (1999) Photomechanics. Springer Verlag, iSBN 3-540-65990-0.Google Scholar
- 3.Surrel Y (2004) Full-field optical methods for mechanical engineering: essential concepts to find one’s way. Invited Keynote at the 2nd International Conference on Composites Testing and Model Identification, Bristol, UK.Google Scholar
- 10.Sutton M, McNeill S, Helm J, Chao Y (2000) Advances in two-dimensional and three-dimensional computer vision. Rastogi P (ed) Photomechanics. Topics in Applied Physics, Springer Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 13.Lawler J, Keane D, Shah S (2001) Measuring three-dimensional damage in concrete under compression. ACI Mater J 98:465–475.Google Scholar
- 16.Puyo-Pain M, Lamon J (2005) Determination of elastic moduli and Poisson coefficient of thin silicon-based joint using digital image correlation. Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA.Google Scholar
- 19.Marzagui H, Cutard T, Yeugo Fogain E, Huger M, Gault C, Prompt N, Deteuf C (2004) Microstructural changes and high temperature mechanical behavior of an andalusite based low cement refractory castable. Proceedings of the International Conference of Metallurgists (com2004), Hamilton, Canada, pp 331–345.Google Scholar
- 21.Nazaret F, Cutard T, Bernhart G (2004) Thermomechanical behaviour of a fibre-reinforced refractory concrete: tests and FE analysis. Proceedings of the 6th RILEM Symposium on Fibre Reinforced Concrete (BEFIB 2004), Varenna, Lake Como, Italy, pp 689–698.Google Scholar
- 25.Alpers B, Bergmann D, Galanulis K, Winter D (1999) Advanced deformation measurement in sheet metal forming. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Technology of Plasticity, Nuremberg, Germany.Google Scholar
- 29.Garcia D (2001) Mesure de formes et de champs de déplacements tridimensionnels par stéréo-corrélation d’images. Ph.D. thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse (France).Google Scholar
- 30.Vic-2D® and Vic-3D® softwares (2006) Correlated Solutions Incorporated, http://www.correlatedsolutions.com/.
- 31.ISO (1995) Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurements (GUM). International Organization for Standardization, Geneva (Switzerland).Google Scholar
- 32.Rubin D (2004) A simple autocorrelation algorithm for determining grain size from digital images of sediment. J Sediment Res 74(1):160–165.Google Scholar
- 33.Orteu J-J, Garcia D, Robert L, Bugarin F (2006) A speckle-texture image generator. Proceedings of the Speckle’06 International Conference, Nîmes, France.Google Scholar
- 36.Davidovits J (1994) Geopolymers: man-made rock geosynthesis and resulting development of very early high strength cement. J Mater Educ 16:91–139.Google Scholar
- 37.Cutard T, Cailleux E, Lours P, Bernhart G (1999) Structural and mechanical properties of a refractory concrete for superplastic forming tools. Ind Ceram 19:100–102.Google Scholar
- 41.Nazaret F (2005) Caractérisation et modélisation du comportement thermomécanique d’un béton réfractaire renforcé de fibres métalliques. Ph.D. thesis, École des Mines de Paris (France).Google Scholar