Specific futsal training program can improve the physical performance of futsal players
This study investigated the effects of 12-week of specific futsal training on body composition, oxygen uptake (VO2max), anaerobic capacity, and agility of male semi-professional futsal players.
Thirteen athletes were subjected to a 12-week program of specific training for futsal with the external load of sessions prescribed from rated perceived exertion. VO2max, agility, anaerobic index, and body composition were assessed before and after the 12-week training program.
The main findings were that the 12-week training period was able to significantly reduce the fat percentage of body composition (−7.5 %) and to improve the agility (3.9 %), aerobic capacity (>7 %), and anaerobic index (6–25 %).
Based on these results, it can be concluded that a 12-week program of specific training for futsal with the external load of sessions prescribed from rated perceived exertion can significantly improve the body composition, agility and aerobic and anaerobic capacity of semi-professional futsal players.
KeywordsAerobic capacity Repeated sprints External load control Agility Body composition
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the Ethical Committee of UNESP Universidade Estadual Paulista, (Ref. 7828) and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in study.
- 4.Soares-Caldeira LF, de Souza EA, de Freitas VH, de Moraes SM, Leicht AS et al (2014) Effects of additional repeated sprint training during preseason on performance, heart rate variability, and stress symptoms in futsal players: a randomized controlled trial. J Strength Cond Res 28(10):2815–2826CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Doğramaci SN, Watsford ML (2006) A comparison of two different methods for time-motion analysis in team sports. Int J Perform Anal Sport 6(1):73–83Google Scholar
- 12.Milioni F, Barbieri RA, Silva ASR, Santiago PRP, Mendes OC et al (2013) Avaliação de parâmetros de treinamento provenientes de teste indireto em atletas de futsal sub20 e adulto. Pensar Prát (Online) 16:1146–1158Google Scholar
- 14.Johnson BL, Nelson JK (1979) Practical measurement for evaluation in physical education. Burgess, MinneapolisGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ross WD, Marfell-Jones MJ (1982) Kinan- thropometry. In: Macdougall JD, Wenger HA, Green HJ (eds) Physiological testing of the elite athlete. Movement Publications, New York, pp 75–115Google Scholar
- 20.Zacharogiannis EPG, Tziortzis S (2006) An evaluation of tests of anaerobic power and capacity. Med Sci Sports Exerc 36(5):S116Google Scholar
- 22.Duarte M, Duarte C (2001) Validity of the maximal multistage 20 m shuttle run test. Braz J Sci Mov 9(3):7–14Google Scholar
- 26.Avelar A, dos Santos KM, Cyrino ES, Carvalho FO, Dias RMR et al (2008) Anthropometric and motor performance profile of elite futsal athletes. Braz J Kinanthropometry Hum Perform 10(1):76–80Google Scholar
- 27.Leal Junior ECP, Souza FB, Magini M, Martins RABL (2007) Comparative study of the oxygen consumption and anaerobic threshold in a progressive exertion test in professional soccer and indoor soccer athletes. Braz J Sports Med 12:323–326Google Scholar
- 28.Cyrino ES, Altimari LR, Okano AH, Coelho CF (2002) Effects of futsal training on the body composition and motor performance of young athletes. Braz J Kinanthropometry Hum Perform 10:41–46Google Scholar
- 30.Freitas VH, Miloski B, Bara Filho MG (2012) Quantification of training load using session RPE method and performance in futsal. Braz J Kinanthropometry Hum Perform 14(1):73–82Google Scholar
- 33.Alizadeh R, Hovanloo F, Safania AM (2010) The relationship between aerobic power and repeated sprint ability in young soccer players with different levels of VO2max. J Phys Educ Sport 27:86–92Google Scholar
- 34.Kalva-Filho CA, Loures JP, Franco VH, Kaminagakura EI, Zagatto A et al (2013) Relationship between aerobic parameters and intermittent high-intensity effort performance. Motriz 9(2):306–312Google Scholar
- 35.Vieira LHP, Doğramaci SN, Barbieri RA, Milioni F, Moura FA et al (2016) Preliminary results on organization on the court, physical and technical performance of Brazilian professional futsal players: comparison between friendly pre-season and official match. Motriz 22(2):79–91Google Scholar