Hydroxyurea treatment effect on children with sickle cell disease and obstructive sleep apnea
While hydroxyurea is the mainstay of treatment for many of the comorbidities associated with sickle cell disease, its effect on obstructive sleep apnea has not been fully investigated. The purpose of this project is to help characterize the effects of hydroxyurea on obstructive sleep apnea in children with sickle cell disease and determine its therapeutic role in the condition.
Chart review was conducted on two pediatric patients with sickle cell disease who experienced resolution of obstructive sleep apnea following hydroxyurea administration.
After undergoing approximately 11 months of hydroxyurea therapy, sleep apnea symptoms improved and obstructive sleep apnea resolution was confirmed by repeat polysomnography in both cases. This resolution was largely secondary to a reduction in the obstructive component of the apnea hypopnea index, highlighting a previously unreported association.
As adenotonsillectomy is associated with significant risks in patients with sickle cell disease, it appears reasonable to consider a period of observation for improvement of obstructive sleep apnea following hydroxyurea administration rather than directly proceeding with surgery.
KeywordsObstructive sleep apnea Sickle cell disease Hydroxyurea Pediatric Adenotonsillectomy Polysomnography
- 2.Rosen CL, Debaun MR, Strunk RC, Redline S, Seicean S, Craven DI, Gavlak JC, Wilkey O, Inusa B, Roberts I, Goodpaster RL, Malow B, Rodeghier M, Kirkham FJ (2014) Obstructive sleep apnea and sickle cell anemia. Pediatrics 134(2):273–281. doi:10.1542/peds.2013-4223 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Strauss TBA, Sin SMS, Marcus CLMF, Mason TBAMDP, McDonough JMMS, Allen JLMD, Caboot JBMD, Bowdre CYP, Jawad AFP, Smith-Whitley KMD, Ohene-Frempong KMD, Pack AIMDP, Arens RMD (2012) Upper airway lymphoid tissue size in children with sickle cell disease. Chest 142(1):94–100CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Duke RL, Scott JP, Panepinto JA, Flanary VA (2006) Perioperative management of sickle cell disease children undergoing adenotonsillectomy. Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 134(3):370–373. doi:10.1016/j.otohns.2005.11.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Wang WC, Ware RE, Miller ST, Iyer RV, Casella JF, Minniti CP, Rana S, Thornburg CD, Rogers ZR, Kalpatthi RV, Barredo JC, Brown RC, Sarnaik SA, Howard TH, Wynn LW, Kutlar A, Armstrong FD, Files BA, Goldsmith JC, Waclawiw MA, Huang X, Thompson BW (2011) Hydroxycarbamide in very young children with sickle-cell anaemia: a multicentre, randomised, controlled trial (BABY HUG). Lancet (London, England) 377(9778):1663–1672. doi:10.1016/s0140-6736(11)60355-3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Narang I, Dhanju S, Amin R, Al-Saleh S, Kadman G, Lai D (2014) Impact of hydroxyurea in sleep disordered breathing in children with sickle cell disease. Sleep 37:A336Google Scholar
- 11.Narang I, Kadmon G, Lai D, Dhanju S, Kirby-Allen M, Odame I, Amin R, Lu Z, Al-Saleh S (2015) Higher nocturnal and awake oxygen saturations in children with sickle cell disease receiving hydroxyurea therapy. Annals of the American Thoracic Society 12(7):1044–1049. doi:10.1513/AnnalsATS.201410-473OC CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Lemonne N, Charlot K, Waltz X, Ballas SK, Lamarre Y, Lee K, Hierso R, Connes C, Etienne-Julan M, Romana M, Connes P (2015) Hydroxyurea treatment does not increase blood viscosity and improves red blood cell rheology in sickle cell anemia. Haematologica 100(10):e383–e386. doi:10.3324/haematol.2015.130435 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Niu X, Nouraie M, Campbell A, Rana S, Minniti CP, Sable C, Darbari D, Dham N, Reading NS, Prchal JT, Kato GJ, Gladwin MT, Castro OL, Gordeuk VR (2009) Angiogenic and inflammatory markers of cardiopulmonary changes in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. PLoS One 4(11):e7956. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0007956 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 28.Marcus CL, Moore RH, Rosen CL, Giordani B, Garetz SL, Taylor HG, Mitchell RB, Amin R, Katz ES, Arens R, Paruthi S, Muzumdar H, Gozal D, Thomas NH, Ware J, Beebe D, Snyder K, Elden L, Sprecher RC, Willging P, Jones D, Bent JP, Hoban T, Chervin RD, Ellenberg SS, Redline S (2013) A randomized trial of adenotonsillectomy for childhood sleep apnea. N Engl J Med 368(25):2366–2376. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1215881 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar