High-density genetic map of Populus deltoides constructed by using specific length amplified fragment sequencing
- 63 Downloads
Populus deltoides is an important industrial tree species widely planted in many areas of the world, and de novo genome sequencing of this plant has been carried out by several research groups. A dense genetic map associating genome sequences is highly desirable for reconstructing the chromosome pseudomolecules using the obtained sequence scaffold assemblies. For this purpose, an intraspecific full-sib F1 mapping pedigree was established by using the sequenced P. deltoides as the maternal parent. With this mapping pedigree, we constructed a high-density genetic map using 92 randomly selected progenies. Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers were discovered by using specific length amplified fragment sequencing (SLAF-seq). In total, 487,038 SLAFs were generated, of which 179,360 were polymorphic. A high-density genetic map was built using HighMap software, which included 11,680 Mendelian segregation markers distributing in 2851 marker bins. The established map consisted of 19 linkage groups (LGs) that equaled to the 19 haploid chromosomes in poplar genome, and spanned a total genetic length of 3494.66 cM, with an average distance of 1.23 cM per marker bin. The map presented here will be useful for anchoring the genome sequence assemblies along chromosomes, and for many other aspects of genetic studies on P. deltoides and the closely related species.
KeywordsPopulus deltoides Specific length amplified fragment sequencing Single nucleotide polymorphism Linkage map
Data archiving statement
The raw data of SLAF-seq have been submitted to NCBI SRA database under the BioProject ID number PRJNA432808.
The work is supported by the National Key Research and Development Plan of China (2016YFD0600101) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31500533 and 31570662). It was also made possible by research funded by the Doctorate Fellowship Foundation and the PAPD (Priority Academic Program Development) program at Nanjing Forestry University and the Doctorate Fellowship Foundation of Nanjing Forestry University.
- Brzustowicz LM, Merette C, Xie X et al (1993) Molecular and statistical approaches to the detection and correction of errors in genotype databases. Am J Hum Gent 53:1137Google Scholar
- Doyle JJ (1987) A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem Bull 19:11–15Google Scholar
- Eckenwalder JE (1996) Systematics and evolution of Populus. In: Stettler RF, Bradshaw HD Jr, Heilman PE et al (eds) Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation, vol 7. NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, p 30Google Scholar
- Fretwell N (1996) A search for human Y-chromosomes specific minisatellites and microsatellites. Dissertation, University of LeicesterGoogle Scholar
- Guo J, Li C, Teng T, Shen F, Chen Y, Wang Y, Pan C, Ling Q (2018) Construction of the first high-density genetic linkage map of pikeperch (Sander lucioperca) using specific length amplified fragment (SLAF) sequencing and QTL analysis of growth-related traits. Aquaculture 497:299–305CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kartesz JT, Meacham CA (1999) Synthesis of the north American flora. North Carolina Botanical Garden, University of North Carolina at Chapel HillGoogle Scholar
- Liu D, Ma C, Hong W, Huang L, Liu M, Liu H, Zeng H, Deng D, Xin H, Song J, Xu C, Sun X, Hou X, Wang X, Zheng H (2014) Construction and analysis of high-density linkage map using high-throughput sequencing data. PLoS One 9:e98855. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0098855 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ma T, Wang J, Zhou G, Yue Z, Hu Q, Chen Y, Liu B, Qiu Q, Wang Z, Zhang J, Wang K, Jiang D, Gou C, Yu L, Zhan D, Zhou R, Luo W, Ma H, Yang Y, Pan S, Fang D, Luo Y, Wang X, Wang G, Wang J, Wang Q, Lu X, Chen Z, Liu J, Lu Y, Yin Y, Yang H, Abbott RJ, Wu Y, Wan D, Li J, Yin T, Lascoux M, DiFazio SP, Tuskan GA, Wang J, Liu J (2013) Genomic insights into salt adaptation in a desert poplar. Nat Commun 4:2797CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pendleton M, Sebra R, Pang AWC, Ummat A, Franzen O, Rausch T, Stütz AM, Stedman W, Anantharaman T, Hastie A, Dai H, Fritz MHY, Cao H, Cohain A, Deikus G, Durrett RE, Blanchard SC, Altman R, Chin CS, Guo Y, Paxinos EE, Korbel JO, Darnell RB, McCombie WR, Kwok PY, Mason CE, Schadt EE, Bashir A (2015) Assembly and diploid architecture of an individual human genome via single-molecule technologies. Nat Methods 12:780–786CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sun X, Liu D, Zhang X, Li W, Liu H, Hong W, Jiang C, Guan N, Ma C, Zeng H, Xu C, Song J, Huang L, Wang C, Shi J, Wang R, Zheng X, Lu C, Wang X, Zheng H (2013) SLAF-seq: an efficient method of large-scale de novo SNP discovery and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing. PLoS One 8:e58700CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu RL, Yin TM, Huang MR et al (2000) The application of marker-assisted selection to tree breeding. Sci Silvae Sin 36:103–113Google Scholar
- Zhang X, Yin T, Qiang Z, Huang M, Zhu L, Zhai W et al (2000) Rapd linkage mapping in a Populus deltoides×Populus euramericana f (1) family. Hereditas 22:209–213Google Scholar