Virtual Money Illusion and the Fundamental Value of Non-Fiat Anonymous Digital Payment Methods
This paper discusses the determinants of a Non-Fiat Anonymous Digital Payment Method’s (N-FAD) value and illustrates a relationship between N-FAD transactions, economic growth, and inflation. The relationship raises a heretofore unmentioned issue concerning the ability of monetary authorities to operate effectively, which justifies regulatory concerns over bitcoin and other N-FADs. Our method of analysis allows for empirical estimates that characterize the magnitude of the concern, as it relates to the use of bitcoin. Finally, we are able to identify the stylized features of bitcoin that complicate monetary policy, comment on how they relate to the value of N-FADs more generally, and provide suggestions for future research.
KeywordsCrypto currency Bitcoin Quantity equation
Funding for this research was provided by the CSU Chancellors office through California State Polytechnic University. We would like to thank Gabriele Camera, Edmond Wu, and an anonymous reviewer for useful comments that improved this paper.
- Badev, A., & Chen, M. (2015). Bitcoin: technical background and data analysis. Morrisville: Lulu Press.Google Scholar
- Bitcoincharts. (2018). Charts available from https://bitcoincharts.com/charts. Accessed 07 July 2015.
- Blockchain. (2018). Blockchain charts available from http://www.blockchain.info/charts. Accessed 07 July 2015.
- Bovaird, C. (2017). Why bitcoin prices have risen more than 400% this year. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/cbovaird/2017/09/01/why-bitcoin-prices-have-risen-more-than-400-this-year/#5616aa46f682. Accessed 01 Jan 2019.
- Chavez-Dreyfuss, G. (2018). Cryptocurrency exchange theft surges in first half of 2018: report. Reuters. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currencies-ciphertrace/cryptocurrency-exchange-theft-surges-in-first-half-of-2018-report-idUSKBN1JT1Q5. Accessed 01 Jan 2019.
- Chuen, D.L.K. (Ed.). (2015). Handbook of digital currency: bitcoin, innovation, financial instruments and big data. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Coinbase.com. (2015). What is coinbase and how much does it cost to use? https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/585625-what-is-coinbase-and-how-much-does-it-cost-to-use-. Accessed 13 Feb 2013.
- CoinMarketCap. (2018). Top 100 cryptocurrencies by marked capitalization. https://coinmarketcap.com. Accessed 30 Oct 2018.
- Dawkins, D. (2018). Has CHINA burst the bitcoin BUBBLE? Trading in RMB drops from 90% to 1%. Express. https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/986552/Bitcoin-price-ripple-cryptocurrency-ethereum-BTC-to-USD-XRP-news-china. Accessed 08 Jan 2019.
- Dotson, K. (2011). Third largest bitcoin exchange bitomat lost their wallet, over 17,000 bitcoins missing. siliconANGLE. http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/08/01/third-largest-bitcoin-exchange-bitomat-lost-their-wallet-over-17000-bitcoins-missing. Accessed 30 Sep 2011.
- Internal Revenue Service. (2014). Notice 2014-21. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf. Accessed 08 Jan, 2019.
- Jaewon, K. (2017). South Korea joins in Asia-wide bitcoin crackdown. Nikkei Asian Review. https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/South-Korea-joins-in-Asia-wide-bitcoin-crackdown. Accessed 08 Jan 2019.
- Lo, S., & Wang, J.C. (2014). Bitcoin as money? Current Policy Perspectives, No. 14-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. https://www.bostonfed.org/-/media/Documents/Workingpapers/PDF/cpp1404.pd.Accessed30Oct2018.
- McMillan, R. (2014). The inside story of Mt. Gox, bitcoin’s $460 million disaster. WIRED. http://wired.com/2014/03/bitcoin-exchange. Accessed 07 Jan 2019.
- Meiklejohn, S., Pomarole, M., Jordan, G., Levchenko, K., McCoy, D., Voelker, G.M., Savage, S. (2013). A fistful of bitcoins: characterizing payments among men with no names. In Proceedings of the 2013 conference on internet measurement conference. https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2504747 (pp. 127–140): ACM.
- Money Morning. (2014). Check out how many overstock sales are done using bitcoin. https://web.archive.org/web/20150731164413/, http://moneymorning.com/2014/08/15/check-out-how-many-overstock-sales-are-done-using-bitcoin/. Accessed 07 Jan 2019.
- Nakamoto, S. (2008). Bitcoin: a peer-to-peer electronic cash system. https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf. Accessed 07 July, 2015.
- Overstock.com. (2018). tZERO issues preferred tZERO security tokens. http://investors.overstock.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=131091&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2371923. Accessed 30 Oct 2018.
- Stamp Payments Act of 1862, 18 U.S.C §336 (2012).Google Scholar
- Tobin, J., & Golub, S.S. (1997). Money, credit, and capital. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Walsh, C. (2010). Monetary theory and policy. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Young, J. (2017). Much WOW: bitcoin price at all-time high closing on $3,000, main reasons. Coin Telegraph. https://cointelegraph.com/news/much-wow-bitcoin-price-at-all-time-high-closing-on-3000-main-reasons. Accessed 30 Oct 2018.