Contract Options and Performance: The Case of Major League Baseball
This study looks to understand whether the inclusion of optional years on Major League Baseball player contracts impacts player performance. Contract options are a feature included in about 13% of new contracts given to batters from the years 2009 to 2017. There are four common types of option: club, mutual, player, and vesting. How an option affects incentives for player effort will likely depend on the type of option. It is likely that effort will be disincentivized when the team has the final decision on whether to exercise the option. This prediction is tested empirically. The results suggest that having a club or vesting option leads to diminished performance by players.
KeywordsContract options Major League Baseball Performance
JELD80 J33 Z22 J44
I would like to thank Dr. Mindy Marks for her extensive feedback on this work. This work also benefitted from comments from seminar attendees at Northeastern University.
- Baseball Prospectus. (2009-2018a). Cot’s Baseball Contracts. “2017–2021 Collective Bargaining Agreement”, Retrieved from: http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/ Accessed 18 August 2017.
- Baseball Prospectus. (2009-2018b). Cot’s Baseball Contracts. “MLB Contracts, By Team” Retrieved from: http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/ Accessed 1 November 2017.
- Baseball-Reference.com. (2018). Index of /data/. Retrieved from: http://www.baseball-reference.com/data/ Accessed 12 February 2018.
- Dinerstein, M. (2007). Free agency and contract options: How major league baseball teams value players. PhD diss., Stanford University.Google Scholar
- ESPN.com. (2018) MLB - Major League Baseball teams, scores, stats, news, standings, rumors. Retrieved from http://www.espn.com/mlb/ Accessed 21 March 2018.
- Frick, B. (2011). Performance, salaries, and contract length: Empirical evidence from German soccer. International Journal of Sport Finance, 6, 87–118.Google Scholar
- Hakes, J. K., & Turner, C. (2008). Long-term contracts in Major League Baseball. In IASE/NAASE Working Paper Series, No. 08-31 (pp. 1–43).Google Scholar
- Lahman, S. (1996-2018). Download Lahman’s baseball Database. Retrieved from: http://www.seanlahman.com/baseball-archive/statistics/ Accessed 7 July 2018.
- MLB.com. (2018). The official site of Major League Baseball. Retrieved from https://www.mlb.com/ Accessed 21 March 2018.
- Todd, J. (2014). Options in MLB contracts: primary option types. Retrieved from: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/options-in-mlb-contracts-primary-option-types.html Accessed 23 March 2018.