Micro-computed tomography newly developed for in vivo small animal imaging
- 157 Downloads
The aim of this paper is to report a newly developed micro-computed tomography system for in vivo use.
The system was composed of a micro-focus X-ray tube and an image intensifier (I.I.), both of which rotated around the object stage. A guinea pig and a rat were examined. The anesthetized animal was set on the secure object stage. Images of the head of the guinea pig and the tibia/knee joint of the rat were taken. In addition, an image of the rat’s tail was taken. The reconstruction and the image viewing were carried out using I-View software.
The voxel matrix was 512 × 512 × 384. The voxel sizes ranged from 10 × 10 × 10 µm to 100 × 100 × 100 µm. The exposure time was 17 s, and the reconstruction time was 150 s. The head of the guinea pig and the tibia/knee joint of the rat were observed clearly under 100-µm and 30-µm voxels, respectively. The trabecular bone of the tail was also observed clearly under a 10-µm voxel.
The newly developed micro-computed tomography system makes it possible to obtain images of anesthetized animals set on a secure object stage. Clear bone images of the small animals could be obtained within a short time.
Key wordsMicro-computed tomography In vivo Bone structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Shimizutani, K, Koseki, Y, Inoue, T, Inoue, T, Yoshida, K, Kakimoto, N, et al. 2001Interstitial brachytherapy for carcinoma of the tongue using microSelectron-HDROral Radiol1795101Google Scholar
- 5.Inoue, T, Inoue, T, Yoshida, K, Yoshioka, Y, Shimamoto, S, Tanaka, E, et al. 2001Phase III trial of high- vs. low-dose-rate interstitial radiotherapy for early mobile tongue cancerInt J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys511715Google Scholar
- 6.Inoue, T, Inoue, T, Tanaka, E, Shimizutani, K, Kakimoto, N, Furukawa, S 2003Establishment of hyperfractionated high-dose-rate interstitial brachytherapy as a monotherapy for early mobile tongue cancer at the Osaka University HospitalRecent Res Dev Radiol16374Google Scholar
- 7.Yoshioka, Y, Yoshida, K, Shimizutani, K, Furukawa, S, Inoue, T, Teshima, T, et al. 2001Proposal of a new grading system for evaluation of tongue hemiatrophy as a late effect of brachytherapy for oral tongue cancerRadiother Oncol618792Google Scholar
- 8.Kakimoto, N, Inoue, T, Inoue, T, Murakami, S, Furukawa, S, Yoshida, K, et al. 2003Results of low- and high-dose-rate interstitial brachytherapy for T3 mobile tongue cancerRadiother Oncol681238Google Scholar