Pilot Allocation and Power Control in Cell-Free Massive MIMO Systems
- 99 Downloads
In this paper we consider a cell-free massive multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) system which is composed of a large number of access points (APs) and a much smaller number of users. Each AP obtains the channel estimate from the uplink pilot and apply maximum ratio transmission in the downlink communication. Under the assumptions that the channels between the APs and users are Rician fading and the number of users is larger than that of orthogonal pilots, we derive the closed-form expression for the downlink achievable rate. Then, in order to maximize the achievable rate, we propose pilot allocation and power control algorithms for cell-free massive MIMO. Simulation results show that the proposed algorithms can achieve good system performance.
KeywordsCell-free massive MIMO Channel estimation Pilot allocation Power control
The research was supported in part by National Natural Science Foundation of China (61701254), Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province (BK20170901), the Funds for International Cooperation and Exchange of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61720106003), the open research fund of National Mobile Communications Research Laboratory, Southeast University (2017D06), NUPTSF (NY216009), and the open research fund of Key Lab of Broadband Wireless Communication and Sensor Network Technology (Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications), Ministry of Education (JZNY201706).
- 1.Ngo, H. Q., Ashikhmin, A., Yang, H., Larsson, E. G., & Marzetta, T. L. (2015). Uniformly great service for everyone (Vol. 22, pp. 201–205).Google Scholar
- 4.Nayebi, E., Ashikhmin, A, Marzetta, T. L., & Yang, H. (2015). Cell-free massive MIMO systems. In Proceedings of 47th Asilomar conference on signals, systems and computers (ACSSC) (pp. 695–699).Google Scholar
- 7.Huang, Q., & Burr, A. (2017). Compute-and-forward in cell-free massive MIMO: Great performance with low backhaul load. In IEEE international conference on communications workshops (pp. 601–606).Google Scholar
- 9.Interdonato, G., Ngo, H. Q., Larsson, E. G., & Frenger, P. (2016). How much do downlink pilots improve cell-free massive MIMO? In Proceedings of IEEE global communications confernce (GLOBECOM) (pp. 1–7).Google Scholar
- 12.Yang. H., & Marzetta. T. L. (2013). Capacity performance of multicell large-scale antenna systems. In Proceedings of 51st Allerton conference on communication, control, computing (pp. 668-675).Google Scholar