Network Coded MIMO Cooperative Communications for the Emergency Area
- 34 Downloads
This work proposed a space–time trellis code (STTC) based network code to improve the bit error rate (BER) performance in transmitting the data from the user to an emergency department. In the proposed scheme, the STTC is implemented in the communication system aided with the network code and amplify-and-forward scheme relay. The STTC scheme encoded the serial data stream to a parallel data stream decoded by the Viterbi algorithms to reduce the transmission time. The proposed scheme improves BER during data transmission. The BER performance of a generic data transmission system, with and without the proposed STTC, are compared. It was found that the generic data transmission system with the proposed scheme achieved better BER performance when transmitting SOS message at the urban area compared to the generic data transmission system without the STTC scheme. By employing the proposed scheme, the BER performance and the transmission time were reduced by 40% even at low signal-to-noise value.
KeywordsSpace–time trellis code (STTC) Network coding Bit error rate (BER) Signal-to-noise (SNR) Transmission system
The authors appreciate those who contributed to make this research successful. This research is under the support of Center for Research and Innovation (PPI) and Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) under the Fundamental Research Grant (FRG0453-TK-1/2016).
- 1.Li, Y. (2011). A survey on communication networks in emergency warning systems. Report Number: WUCSE-2011-100. All Computer Science and Engineering Research. https://openscholarship.wustl.edu/cse_research/54/.
- 2.Bradler, D., Aitenbichler, E., Schiller, B., & Liebau, N. (2009). Towards a distributed crisis response communication system. In Proceedings of the 6th international ISCRAM conference.Google Scholar
- 3.Saravanan, S., Harikrishna, P., & Vaideeswaran, J. (2015). Big data exchange between ambulance bus to hospital network through internat in telemedicine using computer communication network and 3G mobile antenna. In International conference on computer communication and informatics, pp. 1–7.Google Scholar
- 6.Gupta, A., & Rajan, B. (2016). Reduced complexity sum-product algorithm for decoding nonlinear network codes and in-network function computation. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 64(10), 4070–4082.Google Scholar
- 8.Shibahara, K., et.al. (2016). Space–time coding assisted transmission for mitigation of MDL impact on mode-division multiplexed signals. Optical Society of America.Google Scholar
- 9.Garg, A., Bhatnagar, M. R., Berder, O., & Vrigneau, B. (2016). Order statistics based diagonal precoding for 4 × 1 MISO system with real orthogonal space–time block codes. In International conference on signal processing and communications (SPCOM), pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 10.Ming, X., & Skoglund, M. (2009). M-user cooperative wireless communications based on nonbinary network codes. In IEEE information theory workshop, pp. 316–320.Google Scholar
- 11.Sarathal, S., Kanmani, M., & Kannan, M. (2016) Performance analysis of cooperative MIMO employing path and antenna selection. In International conference on current research in engineering science and technology (ICCREST-2016), pp. 101–105.Google Scholar
- 12.Rana, S. M., Alam, S. S., & Faterna, K. (2011). Code construction and performance evaluation of space time trellis code (STTC) over Rayleigh fading channel. In Proceedings of 14th international conference on computer and information technology (ICCIT 2011).Google Scholar
- 15.Rebelatto, J. L., Uchôa-Filho, B. F., Li, Y. H., & Vucetic, B. (2010). Generalized distributed network coding based on nonbinary linear block codes for multi-user cooperative communications. In Information theory proceedings (ISIT), pp. 943–947.Google Scholar
- 18.Chen, Z., Vucetic, B., Yuan, J. H., & Lo, K. L. (2002). Space–time trellis codes with two, three and four transmit antennas in quasi-static flat fading channels. In IEEE international conference on communication, pp. 1589–1595.Google Scholar
- 23.Sindhu, P, & Hameed, A. (2015). Efficient quasi-orthogonal space–time block codes for five and six transmit antennas. In IEEE international conference on electronics, computing and communication technologies (CONECCT), pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 24.Rana, S. M., Alam, S. S., & Faterna, K. (2011). Code construction and performance evaluation of space time trellis code (STTC) over Rayleigh fading channel. In Proceedings of 14th international conference on computer and information technology.Google Scholar