Performance Analysis of Relay Selection with Enhanced Dynamic Decode-and-Forward and Network Coding in Two-Way Relay Channels
- 14 Downloads
Relay selection (RS), enhanced dynamic decode-and-forward (EDDF), and network coding (NC) have been proven to effectively improve the performance of cooperative communications systems. This motivates us to combine these three techniques to see how they can improve the performance of cooperative communications systems. In this study, we adopt the RS protocol proposed by Bletsas, Khisti, Reed and Lippman in 2006. The protocol features an EDDF and NC system for two-hop two-way multirelay networks. All nodes are single-input single-output and half-duplex (i.e., they cannot transmit and receive data simultaneously). The outage probability and its asymptotic behavior at a high SNR, diversity gain, coding gain at a high SNR, multiplexing gain of the sum rate, and spectrum efficiency of the RS-DDF&NC and RS-EDDF&NC schemes were analyzed. In this paper, we present comparisons of the outage probability in various scenarios under the Rayleigh fading channel. Our results demonstrate that the RS protocol with the EDDF and NC scheme exhibits optimal performance regarding outage probability based on the considered DF relay scheme if there exist sufficient relays. In addition, the performance loss is large if a relay is selected randomly. This demonstrates the importance of RS strategies.
KeywordsEnhanced dynamic decode-and-forward (EDDF) Network coding (NC) Relay selection (RS) Two-way relay channels
The authors thank Professor Chiu-Chu Melissa Liu for providing the proof of Lemma 1. This work was supported by the National Science Council, Taiwan, under contract NSC 101-2221-E-194-037.
- 1.Sendonaris, A., Erkip, E., & Aazhang, B. (1998). Increasing uplink capacity via user cooperation diversity. In Proceedings IEEE international symposium on information theory, Cambridge, MA (p. 156) .Google Scholar
- 8.Fertl, P., Hottinen, A., & Matz, G. (2008) Perturbation-based distributed beamforming for wireless relay networks. In Proceedings IEEE global communications conference, New Orleans, LA (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 11.Muñoz, O., Vidal, J., & Agustin, A. (2005) Non-regenerative MIMO relaying with channel state information [cellular example]. In Proceedings IEEE international conference accoustic, speech and signal processing, Philadelphia, PA (pp. 361–364).Google Scholar
- 14.Madan, R., Mehta, N.B., Molisch, A. F., & Zhang, J. (2006). Cth17-2: Energy-efficient cooperative relaying over fading channels with simple relay selection. In IEEE Globecom 2006 (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/GLOCOM.2006.130.
- 16.Bel, A., Vicario, G. S.-G. J. L., & Seco-Granados, G. The benefits of relay selection in WiMAX networks, ICT-MobileSummit08.Google Scholar
- 21.Prasad, N., & Varanasi, M. K. (2004). Diversity and multiplexing tradeoff bounds for cooperative diversity schemes. In Proceedings IEEE international symposium information theory, Chicago, IL (p. 271).Google Scholar
- 23.Bletsas, A., Shin, H., Win, M., Lippman, A. (2006). Cooperative diversity with opportunistic relaying. In Proceedings IEEE wireless communications and networking conference, Las Vegas, NV (pp 1034–1039).Google Scholar
- 25.El-Moutaouakkil, Z., Tourki, K., Qaraqe, K. A., & Saoudi, S. (2012). Exact outage probability analysis for relay-aided underlay cognitive communications. In 2012 IEEE vehicular technology conference (VTC fall) (pp. 1–5). https://doi.org/10.1109/VTCFall.2012.6399044.
- 26.Bao, V. N. Q., & Tran, D. T. (2012) Performance analysis of cognitive underlay DF relay protocol with \(K\)th best partial relay selection. In The 2012 international conference on advanced technologies for communications (pp. 130–135). https://doi.org/10.1109/ATC.2012.6404245.
- 27.Liu, W.-C., Chen, Y.-N. (2012) . Dynamic decode and forward with network coding. In 2012 75th IEEE Vehicular technology conference (VTC Spring) (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 29.Wikipedia, Exclusive or—Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (Online; Accessed 19-Sept-2016) (2016). https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Exclusive_or&oldid=737876378.
- 30.Wikipedia, Floor and ceiling functions—Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (Online; Accessed 19-Sept.-2016) (2016). https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Floor_and_ceiling_functions&oldid=738350457.
- 32.Wikipedia, Gamma function—Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (Online; accessed 1-September-2016) (2016). https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gamma_function&oldid=736970096.
- 33.Wikipedia, Hypergeometric function—Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (Online; accessed 1-Sept.-2016) (2016). https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hypergeometric_function&oldid=731322890.
- 34.Wikipedia, Riemann sum—Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (Online; accessed 5-July-2016) (2016). https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Riemann_sum&oldid=717589707.
- 37.Wikipedia, Power series — Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (Online; accessed 21-Oct.-2016) (2016). https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Power_series&oldid=743563194.