An Optimal Design of Fractal Antenna with Modified Ground Structure for Wideband Applications
- 63 Downloads
This paper premeditates an optimal design of fractal antenna with modified ground structure for wideband applications. The proposed antenna has been designed by taking numerous iterations started from 0th to 3rd. To attain the wideband characteristics, the partial ground plane has been introduced in the 3rd iteration, and the length of the ground plane has been varied to enhance the bandwidth. The maximum value of bandwidth has been adorned in the final iteration as 1.88 and 0.20 GHz. Further, this bandwidth has been improved and embellished as 2.48 GHz within the frequency range of 3–6 GHz by employing horizontal and vertical extensions in the partial ground plane. Antenna is simulated by using HFSS and performance parameters of antenna like return loss (S11 ≤ − 10 dB), gain and radiation efficiency are in the acceptable limits. The maximum value of gain is reported as 5.1 dB and radiation pattern is also omnidirectional. The proposed antenna is useful for the wireless applications as WiMAX (3.4–3.69 GHz) and WLAN (5.15–5.35 and 5.72–5.82 GHz) Simulated and experimental results are also juxtaposed and found in good agreement with each other.
KeywordsHFSS WLAN Fractal WiMAX Gain Return loss
- 1.Balanis, C. A. (1997). Antenna theory: Analysis and design (2nd ed.). London: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 2.Hammerstad, E. O. (1975). Equations for microstrip circuit design. In IEEE 5th European microwave conference (pp. 268–272). https://doi.org/10.1109/euma.1975.332206.
- 5.Rajan, S., & Prakash, A. K. (2015). A very compact triple band notched microstrip fed UWB antenna. In IEEE global conference on communication technologies: GCCT. https://doi.org/10.1109/gcct.2015.7342793.
- 6.Khandelwal, M. K., Kanaujia, B. K., Dwari, S., Kumar, S., & Gautam, A. K. (2015). Analysis and design of dual band compact stacked microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications. International Journal of Electronics and Communications: AEU, 69, 39–47.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Deshmukh, A. A., Nagarbowdi, S., & Phatak, N. V. (2015). Analysis of shorted V-slot cut dual and wide band triangular microstrip antenna. In IEEE international conference on communication, information and computing technology: ICCICT. https://doi.org/10.1109/iccict.2015.7045703.
- 10.Rahimi, M., Keshtkar, A., Zarrabi, F. B., & Ahmadian, R. (2015). Design of compact patch antenna based zeroth-order resonator for wireless and GSM applications with dual polarization. International Journal of Electronics and Communications: AEU, 69, 163–723. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2014.08.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Haraz, O. M., Ali, M. M. M., Alshebeili, S., & Sebak, A. R. (2015). Design of a 28/38 GHz dual band printed slot antenna for the future 5G mobile communication networks. https://doi.org/10.1109/aps.2015.7305155.
- 13.Hu, X., Yang, W., Yu, S., Sun, R., & Liao, W. H. (2015). Triple band notched UWB antenna with tapered microstrip feed line and slot coupling for bandwidth enhancement. In IEEE 16th international conference on electric packaging technology (pp. 879–883).Google Scholar
- 22.Sivia, J. S., & Bhatia, S. S. (2015). Design of fractal based microstrip rectangular patch antenna for multiband applications. In IEEE international advance computing conference: IACC (pp. 712–785). https://doi.org/10.1109/iadcc.2015.7154799.
- 23.Bharti, G., Bhatia, S., & Sivia, J. S. (2016). Analysis and design of triple band compact microstrip patch antenna with fractal elements for wireless applications. Elsevier International Conference on Computational Modeling and Security: CMS, 85, 380–385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2016.05.246.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Bhatia, S. S., & Sivia, J. S. (2016). A novel design of wearable fractal antenna for wideband applications. In IEEE international conference on advances in human machine interaction: HMI. https://doi.org/10.1109/hmi.2016.7449194.
- 27.Rajeshkumar, V., & Raghavan, S. (2014). A compact metamaterials inspired triple band antenna for reconfigurable WLAN/WiMAX applications. International Journal of Electronics and Communications: AEU, 69(1), 274–280.Google Scholar
- 29.Sharma, N., Singh, G., & Sharma, V. (2016). Miniaturization of fractal antenna using novel Giuseppe Peano geometry for wireless applications. In IEEE international conference on power electronics, intelligent control and energy systems: ICPEICES-2016, Vol. 150(7). https://doi.org/10.1109/icpeices.2016.7853633.
- 30.Sharma, N., & Sharma, V. (2016). An optimal design of fractal antenna using modified Sierpinski carpet geometry for wireless applications”. International Conference on Smart Trends in Computer Communication and Information Technology: SmartCom, 628, 400–407. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-3433-6_48.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Issac, A. A., Rizzo, H. M. A., & Khaleel, H. R. (2015). Isolation enhancement of two planar monopole antennas for MIMO wireless applications. IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting. https://doi.org/10.1109/APS.2015.7304576.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Wang, R., Wang, J., Xie, R., Wang, X., Xu, Z., & Zhu, S. (2016). A novel miniaturization microstrip antenna using inter-digital capacitor based defected ground structure. In Progress in electromagnetic research symposium: PIERS (pp. 450–453).Google Scholar