Transmit Precoding Based Low Complexity Codebooks and Finite Feedback Rate for Space Shift Keying MIMO Systems
- 71 Downloads
Transmit Precoding (TPC) considerably improves the performance of Space Shift Keying (SSK) systems. Codebook-based TPC is able to tackle several difficulties encountered by non-codebook TPC techniques. Channel State Information (CSI) is required at the receiver only, and the index of the best codeword is easily identified and fed-back from receiver to transmitter with low rate message. Motivated by these advantages, this paper contributes to the codebook-based TPC in the following aspects. First, the paper presents a Factorized form of the Full-Combination (FC) codebook with phase rotation only, and shows that only four phases are needed, which significantly simplifies practical implementation. As a second contribution, the paper introduces two statistically filtered codebooks: Index-Filtration FC and Average-Filtration FC. These codebooks considerably reduce system complexity due to their small codebook size, while maintaining almost the same BER of the FC codebook. As a third contribution, this paper proposes a new codeword selection criteria based on Long term statistics of the CSI (LCSI), instead of the conventional criteria using instantaneous CSI. This reduces the feedback rate of the index of the selected codeword while providing performance improvement over non-precoded SSK. Simulation results show the effectiveness of the proposed codebooks and the performance improvement with LCSI selection criteria.
KeywordsSpatial modulation Transmit precoding Low complexity codebook Limited feedback channel, MIMO
- 5.Jeganathan, J., & Ghrayeb, A. Generalized space shift keying modulation for MIMO channels. In Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE 19th international symposium on personal, indoor and mobile radio communications,PIMRC’08, Cannes, September 2008 (pp. 1–5). https://doi.org/10.1109/pimrc.2008.4699782.
- 6.Younis, A., Serafimovski, N., Mesleh, R., & Haas, H. Generalised spatial modulation. In Proceedings of the 2010 Asilomar 4th conference signals, systems and computers, Asilomar’10, 7–10 Nov. 2010 November 2010 (pp. 1498–1502). https://doi.org/10.1109/acssc.2010.5757786.
- 8.Luna-Rivera, J. M., Gonzalez-Perez, M. G., & Campos-Delgado, D. U. (2014). Improving the performance of spatial modulation schemes for MIMO Channels. Wireless Personal Communications, 77(3%@ 1572–834X), 2061–2074, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-014-1624-3.
- 10.Younis, A., Mesleh, R., Haas, H., & Grant, P. M. Reduced complexity sphere decoder for spatial modulation detection receivers. In Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE global telecommunications conference, GLOBECOM’10, December 2010 (pp. 1498–1502). https://doi.org/10.1109/glocom.2010.5683993.
- 13.Chen, J., & Xu, X. (2017). Transmission optimized generalized spatial modulation over correlated fading channels. Wireless Personal Communications, 94(3%@ 1572-834X), 1003–1015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-016-3664-3.
- 18.Yang, P., Guan, Y. L., Xiao, Y., Renzo, M. D., Li, S., & Hanzo, L. (2016). Transmit precoded spatial modulation: Maximizing the minimum Euclidean distance versus minimizing the bit error ratio. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 15(3), 2054–2068. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2015.2497692.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Lee, M. C., Chung, W. H., & Lee, T. S. Precoder design for space shift keying in MIMO systems with limited feedback. In Symposium IEEE 25th APIMRC, Sept. 2014 (pp. 6–10). https://doi.org/10.1109/pimrc.2014.7136122.