Impact of 5G Technologies on Industry 4.0
- 143 Downloads
Manufacturing has evolved over the course of centuries from the days of handmade goods to the adoption of water- and steam-powered machines, the invention of mass production, the introduction of electronic automation, and now beyond. Today, the benchmark for companies to keep up with, is Industry 4.0. Here, Manufacturing systems go beyond simple connection, to also communicate, analyse and use collected information to drive further intelligent actions. It represents an integration of IoT, analytics, additive manufacturing, robotics, artificial intelligence, advanced materials, and augmented reality. The paper looks at the evolution of the Industrial revolution and the technologies that have impacted their growth. The proposed features of 5G technologies are listed and described how these features impact the Industries of the future, leading to Industries 4.0. 5G promises to be a key enabler for Factories of the Future, providing unified communication platform needed to disrupt with new business models and to overcome the shortcomings of current communication technologies.
KeywordsIndustries 4.0 5G technologies Internet of Things (IoT) Machine 2 machine (M2M) Information and communication technologies (ICT) Artificial intelligence (AI) Machine learning Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Cyber-physical systems (CPS)
- 1.Article “Industry 4.0 and Manufacturing Ecosystems” by Deloitte University Press.Google Scholar
- 2.The future of industrial communication: Automation network in the era of the internet of things and industries 4.0. IEEE Ind Electron Mag, 11(1).Google Scholar
- 3.G-PPP Whitepaper 2015—5G and the Factories of the Future.Google Scholar
- 4.Wikipedia Report on Industries 4.0. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_4.0.
- 7.G, 2G, 3G, 4G—The evolution of wireless generations. https://support.chinavasion.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/284/42/1g-2g-3g-4g—the-evolution-of-wireless-generations.
- 8.The Open Group blog—5G technologies. https://blog.opengroup.org/category/interoperability-2/.
- 9.GSMA Intelligence—Understanding 5G. https://www.gsmaintelligence.com/.
- 10.Deloitte Report—Industries 4.0-challenges and solutions for digital transformation and use of exponential technologies.Google Scholar
- 11.5G to enhance industrial IoT and transform industry starting in 2020. (2017). ARC Advisory Group.Google Scholar
- 12.Manufacturing reengineered: Robots, 5G and industrial IoT. (2015). Ericsson Business Review Issue 4.Google Scholar
- 13.ABI Research Report Press release. (2017). https://www.abiresearch.com/press/industrial-iot-connections-surge-66-million-global/.
- 14.MGI Report. (2017). Jobs lost, jobs gained: Workers transformation in a time of automation.Google Scholar