A Framework of Joint Scheduling and Network Coding for Real-Time Traffic with Diverse Delay Constraints
Network coding is a promising technology that can be used to effectively enhance the throughput of wireless networks. In realistic wireless networks, due to the random nature of wireless medium access and possible rate mismatch among different codeable flows, there may be insufficient packets to be coded together at intermediate nodes, which compromises the potential throughput gain by exploiting network coding. In this paper, we propose a joint scheduling and network coding (SNC) framework to maximize coding opportunity for real-time traffic flows with diverse delay constraints. SNC consists of two mechanisms: Delaying Packet Transmission Policy (DTP) and Network Coding Group (NCG) based Scheduling Policy (GSP). DTP dynamically decides whether to delay packet transmission of an NCG or not and adjusts the encoding degree. We formulate this problem as a finite-horizon Markov decision process to obtain the optimal encoding degree adaptation policy. Based on the results of DTP and delay requirements of real-time traffic flows, GSP calculates a weight for each NCG and schedules the coded packets of an NCG for transmission according to the weight. Simulation results demonstrate the effectiveness and advantages of SNC, compared with NC schemes using opportunistic policy and greedy policy.
KeywordsDelay Opportunistic network coding Real-time traffic Scheduling
This work is supported by the open project Grant of Science and Technology on Information Transmission and Dissemination in Communication Networks Laboratory (Grant No.: KX152600017/ITD-U15008).
- 4.Liu, Q., & Feng, G. (2012). Mitigating the impact of asynchronous acks on the performance of opportunistic network coding. IEEE in Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), 2012, 5644–5649.Google Scholar
- 6.Chi, K., Jiang, X., & Horiguchi, S. (2008). Network coding opportunity analysis of COPE in multihop wireless networks. In Wireless communications and networking conference, 2008. WCNC 2008. IEEE (pp. 2858–2863).Google Scholar
- 7.Le, J., Lui, J., Chiu, D. M. (2008). How many packets can we encode?—An analysis of practical wireless network coding. In The 27th conference on computer communications INFOCOM 2008. IEEE (pp. 371–375).Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, J., & Fan, P. (2010). Optimal scheduling for network coding: Delay v.s. efficiency. In Global telecommunications conference (GLOBECOM 2010), 2010 IEEE (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 9.Hsu, Y.-P., Abedini, N., Ramasamy, S., Gautam, N., Sprintson, A., & Shakkottai, S. (2011). Opportunities for network coding: To wait or not to wait. In 2011 IEEE International symposium on information theory proceedings (ISIT) (pp. 791–795).Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, W., Letaief, K., & Cao, Z. (2007) Opportunistic network coding for wireless networks. In IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2007. ICC ’07 (pp. 4634–4639).Google Scholar
- 11.Seferoglu, H., & Markopoulou, A. (2010). Delay-optimized network coding for video streaming over wireless networks. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2010, 1–5.Google Scholar
- 12.Ostovari, P., Wu, J., & Khreishah, A. (2012). Deadline-aware broadcasting in wireless networks with local network coding. In 2012 international conference on computing, networking and communications (ICNC). IEEE (pp. 1123–1127).Google Scholar
- 13.Zhao, F., & Medard, M. (2010) On analyzing and improving COPE performance. In Information Theory and Applications Workshop (ITA) (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, Q., & Feng, G. (2011). Optimization based queue management for opportunistic network coding. In 2011 6th International ICST conference on communications and networking in China (CHINACOM) (pp. 1159–1164).Google Scholar
- 17.Tran, T. T., Li, H., Lin, W., Liu, L., & Khan, S. U. (2012). Adaptive scheduling for multicasting hard deadline constrained prioritized data via network coding. IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), 2012, 5621–5626.Google Scholar
- 22.Papailiopoulos, D., Luo, J., Dimakis, A., Huang, C., & Li, J. (2012). Simple regenerating codes: Network coding for cloud storage. INFOCOM, Proceedings IEEE, 2012, 2801–2805.Google Scholar