Adaptive Transmission Rate Congestion Aware Routing Algorithm in Wireless Mesh Network
- 134 Downloads
Due to the fast growth in wireless mesh networking technology, traffic congestion is one of the challenges that have to be dealt with in order to maintain the quality of service provided for mesh clients. Congestion control approaches in the literature can be categorized into proactive and reactive approaches. In this paper, a novel proactive approach is proposed. Where a Variable Order Markov (VOM) prediction model is proposed to predict the congestion status in each link in the network, new route is established for the traffic based on the output of the VOM model, and the transmission rate is adjusted based on the link congestion status to maximize the overall user satisfaction. Optimization model is introduced and solved using Lagrange method. Based on the predicted link congestion, rerouting algorithm is implemented in order to assure the load balancing and to mitigate congestion over WMN network. Simulation results show that our proposed algorithm outperforms other algorithm in the literature in terms of throughput, end-to-end delay, and packet loss.
KeywordsWireless mesh network QoS Congestion mitigation Congestion prediction
- 2.Islam, M., Rahman, M. L., & Mamun-Or-Rashid, M. (2014). Load adaptive congestion control and rate readjustment for wireless mesh networks. In 2014 IEEE 5th international conference on software engineering and service science (pp. 1088–1092), Beijing. doi: 10.1109/ICSESS.2014.6933755.
- 3.Keerthana, P., & ChandraMohan, S. (2015). Adaptive approach based joint scheduling and congestion control in wireless networks. In 2015 international conference on innovations in information, embedded-and-communication-systems (ICIIECS) (pp. 1–5), Coimbatore. doi: 10.1109/ICIIECS.2015.7193254.
- 4.Kapadia, K. N., & Ambawade, D. D. (2015). Congestion aware load balancing for multiradio wireless mesh network. In 2015 international conference on communication, information & computing technology (ICCICT) (pp. 1–6), Mumbai. doi: 10.1109/ICCICT.2015.7045750.
- 9.Volf, P. (2002). Weighting techniques in data compression theory and algorithms. Ph.D. thesis, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven.Google Scholar
- 10.Tjalkens, T., & Willems, F. (1997). Implementing the context-tree weighting method: Arithmetic coding. In International conference on combinatorics, information theory and statistics (p. 83).Google Scholar
- 12.Nisenson, M., Yariv, I., El-Yaniv, R., & Meir, R. (2003). Towards behaviometric security systems: Learning to identify a typist. In The 7th European conference on principles and practice of knowledge discovery in databases. Google Scholar
- 13.Masri, A. E., Sardouk, A., Khoukhi, L., & Gaiti, D. (2012). An efficient and fair congestion control protocol for IEEE 802.11-based Wireless Mesh Networks. In IEEE 23rd international symposium on personal, indoor and mobile radio communications (PIMRC) (pp. 738–744), Sydney, NSW. doi: 10.1109/PIMRC.2012.6362882.
- 17.Rethfeldt, M., Danielis, P., Beichler, B., Konieczek, B., Uster F., & Timmermann, D. (2016). Evaluating cross-layer cooperation of congestion and flow control in IEEE 802.11s networks. In 2016 IEEE 30th international conference on advanced information networking and applications (AINA) (pp. 181–188), Crans-Montana. doi: 10.1109/AINA.2016.12.
- 18.Sheikh, S., Wolhuter, R., & Engelbrecht, H. A. (2015). An adaptive congestion control and fairness scheduling strategy for wireless mesh networks. In IEEE symposium series on computational intelligence (pp. 1174–1181). Cape Town. doi: 10.1109/SSCI.2015.169.
- 19.Yang, K., Ma, J. F., & Miao, Z. H. (2009). Hybrid routing protocol for wireless mesh network. In 2009 international conference on computational intelligence and security (pp. 547–551), Beijing. doi: 10.1109/CIS.2009.48.
- 20.Bari, S. M. S., Anwar, F., & Masud, M. H. (2012) Performance study of hybrid wireless mesh protocol (HWMP) for IEEE 802.11s WLAN mesh networks. In 2012 international conference on computer and communication engineering (ICCCE) (pp. 712–716), Kuala Lumpur. doi: 10.1109/ICCCE.2012.6271309.
- 21.Khasawneh, F. A, Benmimoune, A., Kadoch, M., & Khasawneh, M. A. (2015). Predictive congestion avoidance in wireless mesh network. In 2015 3rd international conference on future internet of things and cloud (FiCloud) (pp. 108–112), Rome. IEEE.Google Scholar