Carrier Frequency Recovery for Nyquist and Faster-than-Nyquist Signaling System
- 96 Downloads
Proposed is a new estimator for the carrier frequency recovery in Nyquist and faster-than-Nyquist (FTN) signaling system. Considering the intentional inter-symbol interference caused by FTN, a discrete-time model for synchronization of FTN is built for the first time, which is different from the traditional model based on the Nyquist criterion. The discrete-time model is simplified assumed that the frequency offset is much smaller than the sampling rate and the shaping pulse is time-truncated adopted from the 3GPP standard. Furthermore, a novel frequency estimator with three discrete Fourier transform samples interpolation is proposed for FTN signaling over the additive white Gaussian noise channel. Comparing with the Cramer–Rao bound, numerical results show the performance of new frequency estimator in the transmission system with the Nyquist rate and beyond the Nyquist rate.
KeywordsFrequency estimation Faster-than-Nyquist signaling Discrete Fourier transform (DFT) Interpolation
The authors would like to thank all the anonymous reviewers for their constructive comments and suggestions which are helpful to improve the paper.
- 2.Banelli, P., Buzzi, S., Colavolpe, G., Modenini, A., Rusek, F., & Ugolini, A. (2014). Modulation formats and waveforms for 5G networks: Who will be the heir of OFDM?: An overview of alternative modulation schemes for improved spectral efficiency. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 31(6), 80–93.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Beidas, B. F., Seshadri, R. I., Eroz, M., & Lee, L.-N. (2014). Faster-than-Nyquist signaling and optimized signal constellation for high spectral efficiency communications in nonlinear satellite systems. IEEE Military Communications Conference, 10(11), 818–823.Google Scholar
- 8.Emil, R., (2013). Low complexity algorithms for faster-than-Nyquist signaling. Master of Science Thesis, School of Engineering Sciences, Royal Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- 11.Fitz, M. P, (1991). Planar filtered techniques for burst mode carrier sychronization. In Conf. Rec. GLOBECOM’91 (pp. 365–369).Google Scholar
- 22.Technical Specification Group Radio Access Network, “Base station (BS) radio transmission and reception (FDD) (release 12),” 3GPP TS 25.104 V12.0.0 (2013-07). http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/25series/25.104/.
- 23.Mazzenga, F., & Corazza, G. (1998). Blind least-squares estimation of carrier phase, Doppler shift, Doppler rate for M-PSK burst transmission. IEEE Transaction Letters, 2(3), 73–75.Google Scholar