Inter-Cloud Communication Through Gatekeepers to Support IoT Service Interaction in the Arrowhead Framework
Although we live in the era of Internet of Things (IoT), many issues on system-interoperability are still not tackled at large. There are limitations for ever-growing IoT realms, especially in resource-constrained domains, where low latency is crucial, and local processing power is a scarce resource. Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) provide functional and configuration flexibility in closed communication environments, where security and service-related orchestration issues are controlled within the local network. For automation systems, these SOA-based networks can have core services, such as Service Registry, Orchestration, Authorization, and so on. A set of such core services are defined, implemented and made available through the Arrowhead Framework. Since the Core Services are distributed resources available for all systems that wish to consume them, these networked services can be considered a cloud. As one cloud cannot serve for all, there is a need for such automation system clouds to interact with each other: use the services of one from another. This paper presents a solution for providing inter-Cloud servicing capabilities in the Arrowhead framework by introducing a gatekeeper concept. The main idea is to extend the service discovery functionality outside the boundaries of a single cloud, and solve the security and orchestration issues in a way that fits into the general Arrowhead concept. This paper also introduces the methodology of creating secure connections between service consumers and providers situated in different clouds.
KeywordsInternet of Things Local Automation Clouds Orchestration Service discovery System of Systems
This work is supported by the EU ARTEMIS JU funding, within Project ARTEMIS/0001/2012, JU Grant No. 332987 (ARROWHEAD).
- 1.Arrowhead framework wiki—The main entry point to documentation and code (2016). https://forge.soa4d.org/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/arrowhead-f.
- 2.Albano, M., Garibay-Martínez, R., & Ferreira, L. L. (2015). Architecture to support quality of service in arrowhead systems. In Proceedings of INFORUM 2015, Covilhã, PortugalGoogle Scholar
- 3.Aslam, B., & Zou, C. (2009). Distributed certificate and application architecture for VANETs. In IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM) (pp. 1–7).Google Scholar
- 4.Blomstedt, F., Lino Ferreira, L., Klisics, M., Chrysoulas, C., Martinez de Soria, I., Morin, B., et al. (2014). The arrowhead approach for SOA application development and documentation. In IEEE IECON.Google Scholar
- 5.Carlsson, O., Hegedus, C., Delsing, J., & Varga, P. (2016). Organizing IoT systems-of-systems from standardized engineering data. In IEEE IECON.Google Scholar
- 6.Carlsson, O., Pereira, P. P., Delsing, J., Eliasson, J., Ahmad, B., Harrison, R., et al. (2016). Configuration service in cloud based automation systems. In IEEE IECON.Google Scholar
- 7.Colombo, A. W., Bangemann, T., Karnouskos, S., Delsing, J., Stluka, P., Harrison, R., et al. (2013). Industrial cloud-based cyber-physical systems—The IMC-AESOP approach. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 9.Delsing, J. (Ed.). (2016). IoT automation—Arrowhead framework. Boca Raton: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 10.Demchenko, Y., Ngo, C., de Laat, C., & Lee, C. (2014). Federated access control in heterogeneous Intercloud environment: Basic models and architecture patterns. In IEEE international conference on cloud engineering (IC2E) (pp. 439–445).Google Scholar
- 12.Derhamy, H., Eliasson, J., Delsing, J., Pereira, P. P., & Varga, P. (2015). Translation error handling for multi-protocol SOA systems. In 20th IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation, ETFA 2015 (pp. 1–8), Luxembourg, September 8–11, 2015.Google Scholar
- 13.Erl, T. (2007). SOA principles of service design (The Prentice Hall service-oriented computing series from Thomas Erl). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall PTR.Google Scholar
- 14.Ferreira, L. L., Albano, M., & Delsing, J. (2016). QoS-as-a-service in the local cloud. In Proceedings of SOCNE 2016, in conjunction with ETFA 2016, Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar
- 15.Fielding, R. T. (2000). Architectural styles and the design of network-based software architectures. Ph.D. thesis, University of California, Irvine.Google Scholar
- 16.Hegedus, C., Kozma, D., Soos, G., & Varga, P. (2016). Enhancements of the arrowhead framework to refine inter-cloud service interactions. In IEEE IECON.Google Scholar
- 17.ISO/IEC. (2014). Message queuing telemetry transport (MQTT) version 3.1.1.Google Scholar
- 19.Karnouskos, S., Colombo, A. W., Jammes, F., Delsing, J., & Bangemann, T. (2010). Towards an architecture for service-oriented process monitoring and control. In 36th annual conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON-2010), Phoenix, AZ.Google Scholar
- 20.Kaur, N., McLeod, C., Jain, A., Harrisson, R., Ahmad, B., Colombo, A., et al. (2013). Design and simulation of a SOA-based system of systems for automation in the residential sector. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 23.Mechtri, M., & Zeghlache, D. (2013). Inter-Cloud networking gateway architecture. In IEEE international conference on computing technology and science (CloudCom) (Vol. 2, pp. 188–194).Google Scholar
- 24.OPC Foundation. (2010). OPC unified architecture specification.Google Scholar
- 25.Pereira, P. P., Eliasson, J., & Delsing, J.: An authentication and access control framework for CoAP-based Internet of Things (pp. 5293–5299). IEEE (2015). doi: 10.1109/IECON.2014.7049308.
- 26.Pereira, P. P., Eliasson, J., & Delsing, J. (2016). Efficient framework for industrial IoT. IEEE Internet of Things Journal (submitted).Google Scholar
- 27.Plosz, S., Hegedus, C., & Varga, P. (2016). Advanced security considerations in the Arrowhead framework. Computer safety, reliability, and security, Lecture notes in computer science (Vol. 9923, pp. 234–245). Springer.Google Scholar
- 28.Saint-Andre, P. (2011). Extensible messaging and presence protocol (xmpp): Core. RFC6120.Google Scholar
- 29.Shand, B., Dimmock, N., & Bacon, J. (2003). Trust for ubiquitous, transparent collaboration. In IEEE international conference on pervasive computing and communications (PERCOM) (pp. 153–160).Google Scholar
- 30.Shelby, Z., Hartke, K., & Bormann, C. (2014). The constrained application protocol (CoAP). RFC 7252.Google Scholar
- 31.Varga, P., Blomstedt, F., Lino Ferreira, L., Eliasson, J., Johansson, M., Delsing, J., et al. (2016). Making system of systems interoperable—The core components of the arrowhead technology framework. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 81(C), 85–95.Google Scholar
- 32.Ziegler, S., & Crettaz, C. (2014). IPv6 as a global addressing scheme and integrator for the Internet of Things and the Cloud. In Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshop (WAINA) (pp. 797–802).Google Scholar