SC-LDPC Code Design for Half-Duplex Relay Channels
This paper studies code design for the half-duplex relay channel when the transmissions take place over binary input additive white Gaussian noise (BIAWGN) channels. Using the decode-forward relay protocol, we design the relay code based on a spatially coupled low-density parity-check (SC-LDPC) code. We show a low complexity density evolution analysis for the proposed relay code. From the density evolution results, we observe that the proposed spatially coupled relay code achieves a capacity approaching performance. We also observe that the proposed code outperforms existing optimized LDPC relay codes. Through simulation results, we evaluate the finite-length performance of the proposed code.
KeywordsSpatially coupled codes Decode-and-forward relaying BIAWGN channel
- 1.Meulen, E. C. V. D. (1971). Three-terminal communication channels. Advances in Applied Probability, Vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 120–154, [Online]. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1426331.
- 9.Kudekar, S., Measson, C., Richardson, T., & Urbankez, R. (2010). Threshold saturation on BMS channels via spatial coupling. In Proceedings of International Symposium on Turbo Codes and Iterative Inform. Processing (ISTC), pp. 309–313.Google Scholar
- 11.Uchikawa, H., Kasai, K., & Sakaniwa, K. (2011). Spatially coupled LDPC codes for decode-and-forward in erasure relay channel. In Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), pp. 1474–1478.Google Scholar
- 12.Wei, L., Costello, D., & Fuja, T. (2013). Coded cooperation using rate-compatible spatially-coupled codes. In Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), pp. 1869–1873.Google Scholar
- 13.Chakrabarti, A., Sabharwal, A., & Aazhang, B. (2005). Sensitivity of achievable rates for half-duplex relay channel. In Proceedings Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Comm., pp. 970–974.Google Scholar
- 18.Noor-A-Rahim, M., Lechner, G., & Nguyen, K. D. (2016). Density evolution analysis of spatially coupled LDPC codes over BIAWGN channel. In Proceedings of Australian communication theory workshop (AusCTW).Google Scholar