A Range Based Localization System in Multihop Wireless Sensor Networks: A Distributed Cooperative Approach
- 531 Downloads
In recent times although there is lot of research in field of localization application but very few aims at localization module with optimal energy consumption. Localization, being inevitable for a range of applications, is also a basis for many network operations such as data packet forwarding i.e. routing and sensing coverage in wireless sensor networks. With a range of application scenario, it is a challenging task to design a localization module for a wireless sensor network consisting of sensor nodes with limited capacity in terms of power, processing and storage etc. This paper presents a simple model of a range based localization system that employs distributed computing in a collaborative and cooperative manner. The aim of this work is to modify a range based localization algorithm to utilize scarce resources optimally along with improved performance by changing the inherent methodologies of position estimation. In this research work basically the role of a media access control scheme (MAC) in the localization module is investigated. A MAC is basically used to save the energy by reducing collisions and retransmission of range packets. Further, energy is conserved by restricting the coverage to a smaller part containing the neighbours up to certain hops and that is formed by dividing the whole network area into clusters. To analyse the performance spectrum, we have simulated the localization method under a variety of application scenarios and lead to the conclusion that this approach increases the efficiency of localization in wireless sensor networks. In the simulation process, every minute aspect of sensor network localization model including the topology, range, mobility, channel, propagation schemes etc. were considered and the performance was finally analyzed.
KeywordsSensor localization Range measurements Anchors Wireless sensor networks (WSNs) MAC SMAC Localization Mobile Positioning Ad hoc Networks Energy Conservation
- 2.Rudafshani, M., Datta, S. (2007). Localization in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the IPSN (pp. 51–60).Google Scholar
- 3.Savvides, A., Han, C.-C., & Strivastava, M. B. (2001). Dynamic fine-grained localization in ad-hoc networks of sensors. In Proceedings of the 7th annual international conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), July 16–21, 2001 (pp. 166–179). Rome: ACM.Google Scholar
- 4.Niculescu, D., & Nath B. (2003). Ad hoc positioning system using AOA. In Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM (pp. 1734–1743).Google Scholar
- 5.Mohapatra, S., Behera, S., & Tripathy, C. R. (2015). A comparative view of AoA estimation in WSN positioning. In L. C. Jain et al. (Eds.), Computational intelligence in data mining - volume 3. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies (Vol. 33, pp. 123–133). doi: 10.1007/978-81-322-2202-6_11.
- 7.Shang, Y., Ruml, W., Zhang Y., & Fromherz, M. P. J. (2003). Localization from mere connectivity. In Proceedings of the MOBIHOC (pp. 201–212).Google Scholar
- 8.Nagpal, R., Shrobe H., Bachrach, J. (2003). Organizing a global coordinate system from local information on an ad hoc sensor network. In Proceedings of the IPSN, LNCS 2634 (pp. 333–348). doi: 10.5923/j.se.20120204.01.
- 9.Kusy, B., Ledeczi, A., Maroti M., & Meertens, L. (2006). Node-density independent localization. In Proceedings of the IPSN (pp. 441–448).Google Scholar
- 10.Papamanthou, C., Preparata, F. P., & Tamassia, R. (2008). Algorithms for location estimation based on RSSI sampling. In Proceedings of the ALGOSENSORS, LNCS 5389 (pp. 72–86).Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, C., & Xiao, L. (2007). Michigan State University, sensor localization under limited measurement capabilities. 0890-8044/07/$20.00 © 2007 IEEE, IEEE Network, May/June 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.IEEE 802.15 WPAN™ Task Group 4, http://www.ieee802.org/15/pub/TG4.htm.
- 14.Wei, Y., Heidemann, J., & Estrin, D. An energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the INFOCOM’02 (pp. 1567–1576).Google Scholar
- 16.Friis, H. T. (1946). In Proceedings of the IRE (vol. 34, p. 254).Google Scholar
- 18.Nguyen, X., & Rattentbury, T. (2003). Localization algorithms for sensor networks using RF signal strength. University of California at Berkeley, Technical report.Google Scholar
- 20.Azim, M. A., Aung, Z., Xiao, W. M., & Khadkikar, V. (2012). Localization in wireless sensor networks by cross entropy method. Technical Report Data & Network Analytics Research Group (DNA) #2012-03.Google Scholar
- 21.Nagpal, R., Shrobe, H., & Bachrach, J. (2003). Organizing a global coordinate system from local information on an ad hoc sensor network. In Information processing in sensor networks (pp. 333–348). doi: 10.1007/3-540-36978-3_22.
- 22.Patwari, N., Hero, A. O., Perkins, M., Correal, N. S., & O’Dea, R. J. (all member of IEEE). (2003). Relative location estimation in wireless sensor networks. 1053-587X/03$17.00 © 2003 IEEE.Google Scholar
- 24.Patwari, N., Ash, J. N, Kyperountas, S., Hero, A. O., Moses, R. L., & Correal, N. S. (2005). Cooperative localization in wireless sensor networks. 1053-5888/05/$20.00 © 2005 IEEE.Google Scholar
- 25.Kannan, A. A., Mao, G., & Vucetic, B. (2006). Simulated annealing based localization in WSN. Journal of Computers, 1(2), 15–22. doi: 10.4304/jcp.1.2.15-22.
- 26.Chen, H., Huang, P., So, H. C., Luo, X., & Deng, P. (2008). Range based mobility assisted cooperative technique in WSN. 978-1-4244-2677-5/08/$25.00 © 2008 IEEE.Google Scholar
- 27.Chen, H., Sezaki, K., Deng, P., So, H. C. (2008). Range free improved DV-hop localization algorithm in WSN. 978-1-4244-1718-6/08/$25.00 © 2008 IEEE.Google Scholar
- 28.Zanca, G., Zorzi, F., Zanella, A., & Zorzi, M. (2008). RSSI based localization algorithms for indoor wireless sensor networks. REALWSN’08, April 1, 2008, Glasgow, U.K. Kingdom. Copyright 2008 ACM 978-1-60558-123-1/08/0004.Google Scholar
- 29.Moragreg, A., Ibars, C. (2010). Range based cooperative and localization algorithms for Zigbee and 802.15.4a in WSN. 978-1-4244-8015-9/10/$26.00 © 2010 IEEE.Google Scholar
- 30.Azim, M. A., Aung, Z., Xiao, W. M., & Khadkikar, V. (2012). Localization by cross entropy method in WSN. Data & Network Analytics Research Group (DNA) Computing and Information Science Program, Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, PO Box 54224, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2012.Google Scholar
- 31.Moravek, P. (2012). NS2 simulator capabilities in nodes localization in wireless networks. A research work was supported by the Czech Science Foundation—Project no. 102/07/1012.Google Scholar
- 32.Abu-Mahfouz, A. M., Hancke, G. P., & Isaac, S. J. (2012). Positioning system in wireless sensor networks using NS-2. Software Engineering, 2(4), 91–100.Google Scholar