Sensitivity Analysis of OFDMA and SC-FDMA Uplink Systems to Carrier Frequency Offset
- 219 Downloads
Orthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA) and single carrier frequency division multiple access (SC-FDMA) are two technologies for the uplink transmission of present and next generation of broadband wireless systems. This paper studies and compares OFDMA and SC-FDMA in terms of sensitivity to carrier frequency offset (CFO) in the uplink. In order to calculate signal-to-interference ratio (SIR), we use a simple superposition principle approach where the contributions of different users are studied separately. We derive closed-form mathematical expressions for the desired signal, interference terms, and consequently SIR for both OFDMA and SC-FDMA systems in the uplink. It is pointed out that there is a strong relationship between sensitivity analysis to CFO and subcarrier allocation schemes. Also, we prove that the derived expressions for both systems are reduced to very simple forms in interleaved subcarrier allocation. Finally, the theoretical analysis are verified using Monte Carlo simulations in block, interleaved, and block-interleaved subcarrier allocations, and the two systems are compared upon these set of results.
KeywordsOrthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA) Single carrier frequency division multiple access (SC-FDMA) Carrier frequency offset (CFO) Signal-to-interference ratio (SIR) Inter-carrier interference (ICI) Multiple access interference (MAI) Inter-symbol interference (ISI)
- 1.IEEE Std 802.16e-2005: IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks-Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed and Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Systems, IEEE Computer Society and the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society, (Dec. 2005).Google Scholar
- 2.Morelli, B. M., Kuo, C. C. J., & Pun, M. N. (July 2007). Synchronization techniques for orthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA): A tutorial reveiew. Proc. of the IEEE, 95(7), 1394–1427.Google Scholar
- 3.Myung, H. G., Lim, J., & Goodman, D. J. (Sep. 2006). Single carrier FDMA for uplink wireless transmission. IEEE Veh. Tech. Mag., 1(3), 30–38.Google Scholar
- 4.LTE, 3GPP TS36.211: Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA): Physical Channels and Modulation, Release 9, (Dec. 2009), http://www.3gpp.org.
- 5.Tonello, A., Laurenti, N., & Pupolin, S. (2000). On the effect of time and frequency offsets in the uplink of an asynchronous multi-user DMT OFDMA system, International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT), 614–618.Google Scholar
- 6.Sohl, A. & Klein, A. (Sep. 2007). Comparison of localized, interleaved, and block-interleaved FDMA in terms of pilot multiplexing and channel estimation, EUSIPCO, 2154–2158.Google Scholar
- 7.Moose, P. H. (Oct. 1994). A technique for orthogonal frequency division multiplexing frequency offset correction. IEEE Trans. on Commun., 42(10), 2908–2914.Google Scholar
- 8.Pollet, T., Van Bladel, M., & Moeneclaey, M. (Feb. 1995). BER sensitivity of OFDM systems to carrier frequency offset and Wiener phase noise. IEEE Trans. on Commun., 43(2), 191–193.Google Scholar
- 9.Sathananthan, K., & Tellambura, C. (Nov. 2001). Probability of error calculation of OFDM systems with frequency offset. IEEE Trans. on Commun., 49(11), 1884–1888.Google Scholar
- 10.Lee, J., Lou, H. L., Toumpakaris, D., & Cioffi, J. M. (Dec. 2006). SNR analysis of OFDM systems in the presence of carrier frequency offset for fading channels. IEEE Trans. on Wireless Commun., 5(12), 3360–3364.Google Scholar
- 11.Tonello, A., Laurenti, N., & Pupolin, S. (2000). Analysis of the uplink of an asynchronous multi-user DMT OFDMA system impaired by time offsets, frequency offsets, and multi-path fading. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf. (VTC), 3, 1094–1099.Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, Z., Zhang, W., & Tellambura, C. (Sep. 2008). Robust OFDMA uplink synchronization by exploiting the variance of carrier frequency offsets. IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., 57(5), 3028–3039.Google Scholar
- 13.Raghunath, K., & Chockalingam, A. (May 2009). SIR analysis and interference cancellation in uplink OFDMA with large carrier frequency/timing offsets. IEEE Trans. on Wireless Commun., 8(5), 2202–2208.Google Scholar
- 14.Hashemizadeh, S.K., Saeedi-Sourk, H. & Omidi, M.J. (2011). Sensitivity analysis of interleaved OFDMA system uplink to carrier frequency Offset, IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC) (pp. 1631–1635).Google Scholar
- 15.Simon, E. P., Dégardin, V., & Liénard, M. (2009). Impact of carrier frequency offsets on Block-IFDMA systems. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. doi: 10.1155/2009/483128.
- 16.Li, M. Q., & Rui, Y. (2009). Analysis of CFO effects on and phase compensation method for SC-FDMA systems. Science in China Series F: Information Science. 2397–2405. doi: 10.1007/s11432-009-0200-z.
- 17.Raghunath, K. & Chockalingam, A. (2009). SC-FDMA versus OFDMA: Sensitivity to large carrier frequency and timing offsets on the uplink, IEEE GLOBECOM (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- 18.Wilzeck, A., Cai, Q., Schiewer, M. & Kaiser, T. (2007). Effect of multiple carrier frequency offsets in MIMO SC-FDMA systems, International ITG/IEEE Workshop on Smart Antennas.Google Scholar
- 19.Mohammadi-Siahboomi, J., Omidi, M.J. & Saeedi-Sourck, H. (2012). A low-complexity CFO compensation technique for interleaved OFDMA system uplink, IEEE Sixth International Symposium on Telecommunications (IST) (pp. 221–225).Google Scholar