Quality Assessment in 3G/4G Wireless Networks
The convergence of wireless networks and multimedia communications, linked to the swift development of services and the increasing competition, has caused user expectations of network quality to raise. Network quality has become one of the main targets for the network optimization and maintenance departments. Quality of experience (QoE) has been traditionally assessed via subjective tests, but this is a costly method. In recent years, different methods for assessing QoE from objective parameters have been proposed. In this paper we describe a non-intrusive system for the analysis and measurement of QoE in wireless networks from these objective parameters. The system consists of mobile agents running on the mobile terminals and one or more network entities that collect and analyze the information.
KeywordsQuality of Service Quality of experience Network performance Web traffic analysis Android
This work has been partially funded by Spanish Junta de Andalucía under project TIC-6897 and by the Spanish Government (TEC2010-18451). The work of F. J. Lopez-Martinez was supported in part by the Spanish Government (COFUND2013-40259), the University of Malaga and the European Union under Marie-Curie COFUND U-mobility program (ref. 246550).
- 1.Soldani, D. (2006). Means and methods for collecting and analyzing QoE measurements in wireless networks. In Proceedings of the international symposium on a world of wireless, mobile and multimedia networks, IEEE CS.Google Scholar
- 2.Díaz, A., Merino, P., & Rivas, F. J. (2008). Customer-centric measurements on mobile phones. In Proceedings on 12th IEEE international symposium on consumer electronics (pp. 14–16). ICSE.Google Scholar
- 3.Beker, S., & Guyard, F. (2009). Towards real-time anomalies monitoring for QoE indicators. Annals of Telecommunication. doi: 10.1007/s12243-009-0148-4.
- 4.Piamrat, K., Viho, C., Bonnin, J. M., & Ksentini, A. (2009). Quality of experience measurements for video streaming over wireless networks. In Proceedings of the 2009 sixth international conference on information technology: New generations (pp. 1184–1189).Google Scholar
- 5.Fiedler, M., Zepernick, H.-J., Lundberg, L., Arlos, P., & Pettersson, M. I. (2009). QoE-based cross-layer design of mobile video systems: Challenges and concepts. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computing and communication technologies.Google Scholar
- 6.Agboma, F., & Liotta, A. (2008). QoE-aware QoS management. In 6th international conference on advances in mobile computing and multimedia (pp. 111–116).Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, H. J., Lee, D. H., Lee, J. M., Lee, K. H., Lyu, W., & Choi, S. G. (2008). The QoE evaluation method through the QoS-QoE correlation model. In Networked computing and advanced information management.Google Scholar
- 8.KSOAP2-Android: http://code.google.com/p/ksoap2-android/, 2012.