Adaptively Grouped Multilevel Space–Time Trellis Codes Combined with Beamforming and Component Code Selection
- First Online:
- 100 Downloads
The performance of adaptively grouped multilevel space–time trellis codes (AGMLSTTCs) is limited due to predefined component space–time trellis codes (STTCs) used in multilevel coding and lack of beamforming. In this paper, we present improvement in performance of AGMLSTTCs by combining beamforming and dynamic selection of component STTCs with AGMLSTTCs to design new codes henceforth referred to as weighted adaptively grouped multilevel dynamic space–time trellis codes. The channel state information at transmitter (CSI) is used to select a code set having different sets of generator sequences. The selected code set is used for generating dynamic STTCs (DSTTCs). The DSTTCs are used as component codes in multilevel coding. We use a single full-diversity DSTTC at some initial levels and multiple DSTTCs at some later levels. The single full diversity DSTTC at each initial level spans all transmit antennas and the DSTTC at each later level spans a group of transmit antennas. The CSI is further used to provide a beam forming scheme by properly weighting transmitted signals. Weights are selected that based on CSI at transmitter. The simulation results show that AGMLSTTCs combined with beamforming and DSTTCs provide significant improved error performance over grouped multilevel space–time trellis codes and AGMLSTTCs.
KeywordsMultilevel coding Dynamic space–time trellis code Rayleigh fading Adaptive antenna grouping Beamforming
- 4.Mavares, D., & Torres, R. P. (2006). Space–time code selection for transmit antenna diversity systems. In Proceedings of the first mobile computing and wireless communication international conference (pp. 83–87).Google Scholar
- 7.Eksim, A., & Celebi, M. E. (2010). Received SNR based code and antenna selection for limited feedback communication. In Proceedings of 18th conference of IEEE signal processing and communications applications (pp. 21–24).Google Scholar
- 16.Huang, Y., Xu, D., & Yang, L. (2006). Adaptive antenna grouping for space–time block coding and spatial multiplexing hybrid system. In Proceedings of the first mobile computing and wireless communication international conference (MCWC 2006) (pp. 88–92).Google Scholar
- 25.Ma, Shang-Chih, & Lin, Chia-Hao. (2010). Multilevel concatenated space–time block codes. IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer, E93–A(10), 1845–1847.Google Scholar
- 26.Baghaie, A. M. (2008). Multilevel space–time trellis codes for Rayleigh fading channels. ME Thesis, University of Canterbury, New Zealand. http://ir.canterbury.ac.nz/bitstream/10092/2101/1/Thesis_fulltext.pdf. Accessed 15 Nov 2009.
- 29.Jain, D., & Sharma, S. (2013). Adaptively grouped multilevel space–time trellis codes. Wireless Personal Communications. doi:10.1007/s11277-013-1293-7.
- 30.Blanz, J. (2006). Dynamic space–time coding for a communication system. US Patent Publication No. 20060209749, September 21.Google Scholar
- 31.Jain, D., & Sharma, S. (2013). Adaptive generator sequence selection in multilevel space–time trellis codes. Wireless Personal Communications. doi:10.1007/s11277-013-1440-1.