Improving the Performance of Spatial Modulation Schemes for MIMO Channels
Spatial modulation (SM) is a recent MIMO transmission concept that holds the potential to increase the spectral efficiency over wireless links using low-complexity transceivers. In this paper, an overview and performance analysis on the key issues of this emerging technology is presented. Based on this analysis, a performance enhancement is suggested by introducing an improved spatial modulation (ISM) scheme that retains the SM key advantages. It is observed that transmitting the same data symbol from more than one antenna at a time has a positive effect in terms of spectral efficiency but, on the other hand, it degrades the bit error rate (BER) performance. In this sense, a more general SM mapping rule is introduced aiming to provide a criterion for choosing an effective performance/rate/complexity trade-off according to the system requirement. An upper bound on the BER performance for ISM is derived and compared to Monte Carlo simulation results. In addition, a two-stage adaptive detector is also presented to enhance further the performance/complexity trade-off at the receiver for SM-based techniques.
KeywordsSpatial modulation MIMO channels Digital modulation
- 1.Mesleh, R., Haas, H., Ahn, C. W., & Yun, S. (2006). Spatial modulation—a new low complexity spectral efficiency enhancing technique. In Proceedings of the first international conference communication (pp. 1–5). Networking China (ChinaCom’06), Oct 2006.Google Scholar
- 4.Jeganathan, J., Ghrayeb, A., & Szczecinski, L. (2008b). Generalized space shift keying modulation for MIMO channels. In IEEE International Symposium Personal, Indoor, Mobile Radio Communications (pp. 1–5), Sept 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.Younis, A. S., Mesleh, R. N., & Haas, H. (2010). Generalised spatial modulation. In Signals, systems and computers (ASILOMAR), 2010 Conference Record of the Forty Fourth Asilomar Conference on (pp. 7–10), Nov 2010.Google Scholar
- 7.Luna-Rivera, J. M., & Gonzalez-Perez, M. G. (2012). An improved spatial modulation scheme for MIMO channels. In 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP) (pp. 1–5), March 2012.Google Scholar
- 10.Di Renzo, M., & Haas, H. (2010). On the performance of SSK modulation over multiple-access Rayleigh fading channels. In Proceeding of the GLOBCOM, 2010 (pp. 1–6), June 2010.Google Scholar