Cooperative Impulse Radio Ultra-Wideband Communication Using Coherent and Non-Coherent Detectors: A Review
- 359 Downloads
Ultra-wideband (UWB) is a booming technology in the field of wireless communication. This paper presents a brief idea related to the various coherent and non-coherent IR-UWB detectors. Due to the limitation in transmit power spectral density of UWB system, the major challenges faced by UWB system includes, achieving Quality of Service, system performance and coverage area. So, the combination of UWB system with cooperative communication will not only improve the system performance, but also help in expanding coverage area of signals. A brief review of the work done by various researchers in the field of cooperative impulse radio (IR) UWB communication is also presented in this paper. The working principle and performance analysis of the various coherent and non-coherent IR-UWB detectors using cooperative relay strategies are also discussed at large in this paper. The various fixed cooperative relay strategies used for cooperative UWB communication is Amplify and Forward, Decode and Forward and Detect and Forward. From the simulation results it can be inferred that, even though IR-UWB DTR receiver gives a much better BER performance than IR-UWB ED receiver using both cooperative and non-cooperative strategies, yet ED receiver is preferred because of its less complexity and low power consumption. Future prospects in the field of cooperative IR-UWB communication have also been discussed in this paper.
KeywordsCooperative IR-UWB communication Coherent UWB RAKE receivers Non-coherent UWB receivers Cooperative IR-UWB receivers Cooperative relaying
Amplify and forward
Average transmitted reference
Bit error probability
Bit error rate
Channel impulse response
Channel state information
Decode and forward
Detect and forward
Differential transmitted reference
Equal gain combining
Federal communications commission
Frequency division duplex
Generalized likelihood ratio test
Line of sight
Moment generating function
Minimax relay selection
Minimum mean square estimation
Maximum product relay section
Maximal ratio combining
Network coded broadcasting
Non line of sight
Pulse amplitude modulation
Power delay profile
Packet delivery ratio
Physical network coding
Pulse position modulation
Partial combining RAKE
Power spectral density
Quality of service
Soft output viterbi decoding algorithm
Selective combining RAKE
Single user detector
Time division duplex
Time division multiple access
Transmitted reference pulse cluster
UWB based cooperative retransmission scheme
Weighted energy detector
- 2.Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Revision of part 15 of the commission’s rules against regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission Systems. First Report and Order, ET Docket 98-153, FCC 02-48, Adopted: Feb 2002, Release Apr 2002. http://www.ntia.doc.gov/fcc-filing/2000/ntia-comments-revision-part-15-commissions-regarding-ultrawideband-transmission-syst.
- 6.Mohammad, S., & Sadough, S. (2009). A tutorial on ultra wideband modulation and detection schemes. http://www.faculties.sbu.ac.in/sadough/pdf/uwb_tutorial.pdf. Accessed Apr 2009.
- 7.Fernandes, J. R., & Wentzloff, D. (2010). Recent advances in IR-UWB transceivers: An overview. In Proceedings of IEEE international symposium on circuits and systems (ISCAS) (pp. 3284–3287). doi: 10.1109/ISCAS.2010.5537916.
- 8.Siriwongpairat, W. P., Su, W., Han, Z., & Liu, K.-J.-R. (2006). Employing cooperative diversity for performance enhancement in UWB communication systems. In Proceedings IEEE wireless communication and networking conference (WCNC), vol. 4 (pp. 1854–1859). doi: 10.1109/WCNC.2006.1696578.
- 10.Laneman, J. N. (2002). Cooperative diversity in wireless networks: Algorithm and architectures. Ph.D dissertation, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 2002. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.129.305&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- 13.Van Der Meulen, E. C. (1971). Three-terminal communication channels. Advances in Applied Probability, 3(1), 120–154.Google Scholar
- 16.Khan, M. G., Nordberg, J., & Claesson, I. (2008). Performance evaluation of RAKE receiver for low data rate UWB systems using multipath channels for industrial environments. Research Report, Blekinge Institute of Technology. http://www.bth.se/fou/forskinfo.nsf/0/ee5efbf0dad21be4c125746d004ee979/file/UWBResearchReport1_MGK.pdf.
- 18.Cassioli, D., Win, M. Z., Vatalaro, F., & Molisch, A. F. (2002). Performance of low- complexity RAKE reception in a realistic UWB channel. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC, 2(2), 763–767. doi: 10.1109/ICC.2002.996958.
- 19.Amico, A. A. D., Mengali, U., & Taponecco, L. (2004). Performance comparisons between two signaling formats for UWB communications. In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on communications, ICC, vol. 6 (pp. 3404–3408). doi: 10.1109/ICC.2004.1313176.
- 22.Amico, A. A. D., & Mengali, U. (2005). GLRT receivers for UWB systems. IEEE Communications Letters. doi: 10.1109/LCOMM.2005.06032.
- 23.Chan, Y.-L., & Scholtz, R. A. (2003). Optimal and suboptimal receivers for ultra-wideband transmitted reference systems. In Proceedings Of global telecommunications conference, Globecom, vol. 2 (pp. 759–763). doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2003.1258340.
- 24.Franz, S., & Mitra, U. (2003). On optimal data detection for UWB transmitted reference systems. In Proceedings of IEEE global telecommunications conference, Globecom, vol. 2 (pp. 744–748). doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2003.1258337.
- 25.He, S., & Dong, X. (2010). Implementation of a low complexity UWB transmitted reference pulse cluster system. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE 72nd vehicular technology conference, (VTC Fall) (pp. 1–5). doi: 10.1109/VETECF.2010.5594332.
- 29.Sahin, M. E., Guvenc, I., & Arslan, H. (2005). Optimization of energy detector receivers for UWB systems. In Proceedings of 2005 IEEE 61st vehicular technology conference (VTC Spring), vol. 2 (pp. 1386–1390). doi: 10.1109/VETECS.2005.1543536.
- 34.Qing-Hua, S., Xuan-li, X., Di, L., & Xin, Q. (2010). Performance analysis of cooperative ultra-wideband communication system. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE international conference on communications and mobile computing (CMC), vol. 2 (pp. 217–220). doi: 10.1109/CMC.2010.249.
- 36.Bai, Z., & Xu, Y. (2012). MGF based performance analysis of dual-hop regenerative relaying IR-UWB systems. International Journal of Electronics and Communication (AEU), Elsevier, 66(8), 641–646. doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2011.12.003.
- 38.Aziz, A. A., Iwanami, Y., & Okamato, E. (2009). Efficient combining technique with a low complexity detect-and-forward relay for cooperative diversity scheme. In Proceedings of IEEE region 10 conference. TENCON, vol. 9 (pp. 1–6). doi: 10.1109/TENCON.2009.5396130.
- 41.Maichalernnukul, K., Kaiser, T., & Feng, Z. (2009). Performance investigation of a UWB relay system using multiple relays with multiple antennas in IEEE 802.15.3a channel. In Proceedings of IEEE 69th vehicular technology conference, VTC, Spring (pp. 1–6). doi: 10.1109/VETECS.2009.5073792.
- 42.Shirazi, G. N., Kong, P. Y., & Tham, C. K. (2008). A low-overhead cooperative retransmission scheme for IR-UWB networks. Research Letters in Communication. doi: 10.1109/ICUWB.2008.4653387.
- 45.Abou-Rjeily, C., Daniele, N., & Belfiore, J. C. (2006). On the decode-and-forward cooperative diversity with coherent and non-coherent UWB systems. In Proceedings of IEEE 2006 international conference on ultra-wideband (pp. 435–440). doi: 10.1109/ICU.2006.281589
- 47.Bai, Z., Xu, Y., Shen, B., Kwak, K. S. & Yuan, D. (2011). Performance analysis of dual-hop UWB system with non-regenerative relaying scheme. In Proceedings of 13th IEEE international conference on advanced communication technology (ICACT) (pp. 1221–1225).Google Scholar
- 48.Xu, Y., Bai, Z., & Kwak, K. S. (2011). On the performance of dual-hop regenerative cooperative relaying of IR-UWB System. In Proceedings of 11th IEEE international symposium on communications and information technologies (ISCIT) (pp. 323–327). doi: 10.1109/ISCIT.2011.6089758.
- 49.Xu, Y., Bai, Z., Yang, X., Wang, A. L., & Kwak, K. (2011). Closed-form BER analysis of dual-hop non-regenerative IR-UWB system over multipath channels. In Proceedings of 2011 IEEE 13th international conference on communication technology (ICCT) (pp. 126–130). doi: 10.1109/ICCT.2011.6157847.
- 51.Maichalernnukul, K., Feng, Z., & Kaiser, T. (2010). Dual-hop UWB transmissions using a multiple antenna relay with antenna selection versus single-antenna relay selection. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE international ITG conference on source and channel coding (SCC) (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- 52.Yang, Y., Wang, D., Li, M., & Song, Y. (2010). A relay selection scheme for IR-UWB networks based on distance information. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE international conference on information theory and information security (ICITIS) (pp. 1046–1049). doi: 10.1109/ICITIS.2010.5689728.
- 54.Maichalernnukul, K., Kaiser, T., & Feng, Z. (2011). Performance of ultrawideband cooperative relay systems in the presence of narrowband interference. In Proceedings of 2011 IEEE international conference on ultra-wideband (ICUWB) (pp. 405–409). doi: 10.1109/ICUWB.2011.6058874
- 56.Dong, X., & Dong, X. (2010). Bi-directional cooperative relays for transmitted reference pulse cluster UWB systems. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE global telecommunications conference. Globecom (pp. 1–5). doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2010.5683989.
- 57.Gao, H., Su, X., Lv, T., Wang, T., & Wang, Z. (2011). Physical-layer network coding aided two way relay for transmitted-reference UWB networks. In Proceedings of 2011 IEEE global telecommunications conference, Globecom (pp. 1-6). doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2011.6133672.
- 58.Mondelli, M., Zhou, Q., Ma, X., & Lottici, V. (2012). A cooperative approach for amplify- and-forward differential transmitted reference IR-UWB relay systems. In Proceedings of 2012 IEEE international conference on acoustics, speech and signal processing (ICASSP) (pp. 2905–2908). doi: 10.1109/ICASSP.2012.6288524.
- 59.Wu, T. M., & Hou, Y. F. (2011). Performance analysis of cooperative communication in the UWB differential transmitted reference system. In Proceedings of 2011 IEEE 73rd vehicular technology conference (VTC Spring) (pp. 1–5). doi: 10.1109/VETECS.2011.5956239.
- 60.Hamdi, M., Mietzner, J., & Schober, R. (2010). Double-differential encoding for dual-hop amplify-and-forward relaying in IR UWB systems. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE 71st vehicular technology conference (VTC Spring) (pp. 1–5). doi: 10.1109/VETECS.2010.5493862
- 62.Wang, Z., Lv, T., Gao, H., & Li, Y. (2011). A novel two-way relay UWB network with joint non-coherent detection in multipath. In Proceedings of 2011 IEEE 73rd vehicular technology conference (VTC Spring) (pp. 1–5). doi: 10.1109/VETECS.2011.5956243.
- 63.Wu, T. S., & Hou, Y. F. (2012). Noncoherent UWB with block coded modulation in cooperative communications systems. In Proceedings of 2012 IEEE 16th international symposium on consumer electronics (ISCE) (pp. 1–4). doi: 10.1109/ISCE.2012.6241751.