Adaptively Grouped Multilevel Space-Time Trellis Codes
- 166 Downloads
Grouped multilevel space-time trellis codes (GMLSTTCs) utilize multilevel coding (MLC), antenna grouping and space time trellis codes (STTCs) for simultaneously providing coding gain, diversity improvement and increased spectral efficiency. The performance of GMLSTTCs is limited due to predefining of the antenna groups. It has been shown that when perfect or partial channel state information is available at the transmitter, the performance and capacity of space-time coded system can be further improved. In this paper, we present a new code designed by combining MLC, STTCs, antenna grouping and channel state information at transmitter, henceforth referred to as adaptively grouped multilevel space time trellis codes (AGMLSTTCs). AGMLSTTCs use a single full-diversity STTC at initial some levels and multiple STTCs at some later levels. The single full diversity STTC at each initial level spans all transmit antennas and the STTC at each later level spans a group of transmit antennas. The channel state information at the transmitter is used to adaptively group the transmit antennas for the later levels. Instantaneous channel power gain is calculated between each transmit antenna and all the receive antennas. A subset of transmit antennas having maximum channel power gain is selected to form a group. The simulation results show that AGMLSTTCs enable to transmit more than one data symbol per time slot with improved error performance over GMLSTTCs with predefined transmit antenna grouping.
KeywordsMultilevel coding Space time trellis code Channel state information Rayleigh fading channel Adaptive antenna grouping
- 2.Hammons, A. R. Jr., & El Gamal, H. (2000). On the theory of space time codes for PSK modulation. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 46(2), 524–542.Google Scholar
- 3.El Gamal, H., & Hammons, A. R. Jr. (2001). Algebraic space time codes for block fading channel. In IEEE international symposium on information theory (p. 152).Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, J.-T. (2002). Successive decoding of multiple space time coded streams in multi-input multi-output systems. In IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM ’02), vol. 1 (pp. 1007–1011).Google Scholar
- 13.Huang, Y., Xu, D., & Yang, L. (2006). Adaptive antenna grouping for space-time block coding and spatial multiplexing hybrid system. In Proceedings of the First Mobile Computing and Wireless Communication International Conference (MCWC 2006) (pp. 88–92).Google Scholar
- 17.Shang-Chih, M. A., & Chia-Hao, L. (2010). Multilevel concatenated space-time block codes. IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer, E93-A(10), 1845–1847.Google Scholar
- 18.Baghaie, A. M. (2008). Multilevel space-time trellis codes for Rayleigh fading channels. ME Thesis. New Zealand: University of Canterbury. http://ir.canterbury.ac.nz/bitstream/10092/2101/1/Thesis_fulltext.pdf Accessed 15 March 2010.