Space-Time Codebook Design for Spread Systems
- First Online:
- 106 Downloads
The problem of designing space-time constellations for communication in spread multiple-antenna wireless systems over Rayleigh fading channel is addressed. Using the asymptotic union bound on error probability as design criterion, codes based on general complex-valued symbols are obtained with a gradient search optimization technique. New space-time constellations are constructed and their performance is assessed. Simulation results show that the proposed technique achieves significant performance gains over existing schemes. Since the designed codebooks do not seem to possess any structure that could reduce the memory requirements for storing the corresponding codebook, the problem of designing structured space-time constellations is also addressed. To overcome this problem, a discrete Fourier transform-based approach is adopted to design structured codebooks and their performance is evaluated. The new structured codebooks also demonstrate significant improvement over state-of-art structured schemes.
KeywordsSpread multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) Space-time coding Fading channels Performance analysis Diversity methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Geng, J., Mitra, U., & Fitz, M. P. (2001). Space-time block codes in multipath CDMA systems. In Proceeding of IEEE ISIT (p. 151), Washington, USA.Google Scholar
- 11.Beko, M., Xavier, J., & Barroso, V. (2009). Codebook design for communication in spread and nonspread space-time block codes-based systems. In Proceeding of IEEE ISWCS, Siena, Italy.Google Scholar
- 15.Bolcskei, H., & Paulraj, A. J. (2000). Space-frequency coded broadband OFDM systems. In Proceeding of IEEE WCNC (pp. 1–6). Chicago, IL.Google Scholar
- 16.Scharf L. L. (1990) Statistical signal processing: Detection, estimation, and time series analysis. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 17.Proakis J. (2000) Digital communication. McGraw Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 18.Candreva, E. A., & Corazza, G. E. (2010). A tighter upper bound on the error probability of signals in white Gaussian noise. In Proceeding of ASMS-SPSC, pp. 444–448.Google Scholar
- 19.Dianjun, C., Yue, L., & Hashimoto, T. (2009). A new performance bound for non-orthogonal space-time spreading CDMA systems over MIMO Rayleigh fading channels. In Proceeding of IEEE PIMRC, pp. 531–535.Google Scholar
- 20.Nocedal, J., & Wright, S. J. (1999). Numerical optimization. Springer. Series in Operations Research.Google Scholar