Infoshare : Design and Implementation of Scalable Multimedia Signage Architecture for Wireless Ubiquitous Environments
- 165 Downloads
Digital signage systems have found many interesting applications in the realms of advertising, entertainment and education. One of the most prevalent challenging issues faced by current Local Area Network (LAN) based Digital signage network architectures is that their difficulty in porting to wireless ubiquitous environments. While popularity of wireless LANs promotes such architectural improvement, Traditional thin/thick client based architectures suffer inefficiency and scalability issues introduced by use of proprietary signage content formats. Use of such content formats to store signage contents is less optimal since it could lead to content redundancy, difficulty in creating, managing signage contents and scalability issues. As a solution for this issue we propose a Smart Client based digital signage architecture that uses XAML (an XML based declarative GUI language) contents for expressing its signage displays. While Smart Clients can better tolerate communication disruptions which are quite frequent in wireless environments, use of XAML based open content format promotes use of simple tools and variety of devices for signage content creation and management over the Internet in a ubiquitous environment. We successfully applied this generic architecture to a prototype digital signage system called Infoshare and report its robustness in withstanding network disruptions. We evaluate the easiness of editing XAML based signage contents by comparing Infoshare with a popular LAN based digital signage system which uses proprietary content formats. We demonstrate scalability of Infoshare signage service in terms of hardware resources by deploying it in different hardware platforms.
KeywordsDigital signage Multimedia systems Distributed systems Future communication systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Esch, M., Schloss, H., & Scholtes, I. (2007). The sempa prototype - using xaml and web services for rich interactive peer-to-peer applications. In Collaborative computing: Networking, applications and worksharing, 2007. CollaborateCom 2007, pp. 271 –277.Google Scholar
- 2.Fowler M. (2003) Enterprise application architecture. Pearson Education, Inc, One Lake Street, Upper Saddle River, NJ, p 07458Google Scholar
- 3.RPI Web Technologies Group. Concerto. November 2010. URL: http://www.concerto-signage.com/view/home.
- 4.Harrison J. V., Andrusiewicz A. (2003) An emerging marketplace for digital advertising based on amalgamated digital signage networks. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, p 149Google Scholar
- 5.Harrison, J. V., & Andrusiewicz, A. (2004). Using wireless networks to enhance narrowcasting in public spaces. In Consumer communications and networking conference, 2004. CCNC 2004. First IEEE, pp. 600–604.Google Scholar
- 6.Hill D., Webster B., Jezierski E. A., Vasireddy S., Al-Sabt M., Wastell B., Rasmusson J., Gale P., Slater P. (2004) Smart client architecture and design guide (1st ed.). Microsoft Press, Redmond, WAGoogle Scholar
- 7.Free-Press-Release Inc. (2010). Truknox Participated at Integrated Systems Europe 2009. March 2010. URL: http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200902/1234338862.html.
- 8.Lott J. (2006) Flash 8 Cookbook. O’Reilly Media, Inc, Sebastopol, CA, p 95472Google Scholar
- 10.Lundstrom L.-I. (2008) Digital signage broadcasting. Burlington, MA, Elsevier Inc.Google Scholar
- 11.MacVittie L. A. (2006) XAML in a nutshell. O’Reilly Media, Inc, Sebastopol, CAGoogle Scholar
- 12.Novell Inc. (2010). Moonlight shines on the Linux desktop. April 2010. URL: http://www.novell.com/news/press/moonlight-shines-on-the-linux-desktop.
- 13.Petzold C. (2006) Applications = code + markup, a guide to the Microsoft windows presentation foundation (1st ed.). Microsoft Press, Redmond, WAGoogle Scholar
- 14.Podila P., Hoffman K. (2009) WPF control development unleashed: Building advanced user experiences (1st ed.). Sams, Indianapolis, INGoogle Scholar
- 15.Pulier E., Taylor H. (2005) Understanding enterprise SOA. Manning Publications Co, Greenwich, CTGoogle Scholar
- 17.Sans, V., & Laurent, D. (2006). Navigating with inheritance in hypermedia presentations. In SAC ’06: Proceedings of the 2006 ACM symposium on Applied computing, pp. 1385–1392, ACM, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- 18.Sells C., Griffiths I. (2007) Programming WPF (2 ed.). O’Reilly Media, Inc, Sebastopol, CAGoogle Scholar
- 19.Shaeffler J. (2008) Digital signage. Elsevier, Burlington, MAGoogle Scholar
- 20.Sugiura, K., Dayarathna, M., & Withana, A. (2010). Design and implementation of distributed and scalable multimedia signage system. In Ubiquitous and future networks (ICUFN), 2010, pp. 273–278.Google Scholar
- 21.Tanenbaum A. S. (2003) Computer networks (4th ed.). Pearson Education, Inc, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 22.Trulove J. (2002) Build your own wireless LAN (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- 23.Vander Veer, E. A. (2006). PowerPoint 2007: The missing manual. O’Reilly Media, Inc., 1Sebastopol, CA, pp. 95472.Google Scholar
- 25.Williams B. (2008) Microsoft expression blend unleashed (1st ed.). Sams, Indianapolis, INGoogle Scholar
- 26.Xibo. (2010). Xibo open source digital signage. February 2010. URL: http://xibo.org.uk/.
- 27.Zhang, G., Hirsch, P., & Lee, S. (2007). Wide area frequency visualization using smart client technology. In Power engineering society general meeting, 2007. IEEE, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar