Enhancing Data Rates of TH-UWB Systems Using M-ary OPPM-BPSM Modulation Scheme: A System Perspective
- 96 Downloads
This paper proposes and studies a combined modulation scheme for time hopping ultra wideband (TH-UWB) radio system based on orthogonal pulse position modulation (OPPM) and biorthogonal pulse shape modulation (BPSM). The proposed scheme offers a high data rate with satisfactory system performance by using high-level multi-dimensional modulation schemes. It allows one to increase the number of orthogonal pulses in each pulse position and, consequently, be able to adopt shorter pulse repetition intervals than those used in conventional M-ary OPPM or M-ary biorthogonal PPM (BPPM) modulation schemes. The performance is analyzed by using characteristic function and Gaussian approximation in additive white Gaussian and multipath scenarios, respectively. The proposed scheme reduces multiple access interference considerably in multi-user environments. Finally, simulation results are provided to validate the theoretical results.
KeywordsM-ary modulation schemes Multiple access interference (MAI) Inter symbol interference (ISI) Performance of OPPM-BPSM Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.de Abreu G. T. F., Mitchell C. J., Kohno R. (2003) On the design of orthogonal pulse-shape modulation for UWB systems using hermite pulses. Journal of Communication and Networking 5: 328–343Google Scholar
- 2.Dotlic, I., & Kohno, R. (2007). Design of the family of orthogonal and spectrally efficient uwb waveforms. IEEE Journal of Selected Topic in Signal Processing, 1.Google Scholar
- 3.Foerster, J. (2003). UWB channel modeling sub-committee report final. IEEEP802.15 Working Group for Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs).Google Scholar
- 5.Hu, B., & Beaulieu, N. C. (2005). Pulse shapes for ultra wideband communication systems. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication, 4.Google Scholar
- 6.Hwang, J. H., Kim, S. C., Yoon, S., Kang, B., & Park, J. S. (2007). Performance analysis of PO-THMA UWB system using mutually orthogonal MHP pulses. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, 53 Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, Y., & Womack, B. F. (2007). Performance evaluation of UWB systems exploiting orthonormal pulses. IEEE Transactions on Communication, 55.Google Scholar
- 10.Majhi, S., Madhukumar, A. S., Premkumar, A. B., & Chin, F. (2007). M-ary signaling for ultra wideband communication systems based on pulse position and orthogonal pulse shape modulation. IEEE Wireless Communication & Networking Conference (WCNC), 2795–2799.Google Scholar
- 11.Majhi, S., Madhukumar, A. S., Premkumar, A. B., & Chin, F. (2007). Modulation schemes based on orthogonal pulses for time hopping ultra wideband radio systems. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 4185–4190.Google Scholar
- 12.Majhi, S., Madhukumar, A. S., Premkumar, A. B., & Richardson, P. (2008). Combining OOK with PSM modulation for TH-UWB radio systems: A performance analysis. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking 2008.Google Scholar
- 14.Parr, B., Cho, B., Wallace, K., & Ding, Z. (2003). A novel ultra-wideband pulse design algorithm. IEEE Communication Letters, 7.Google Scholar