Design of Linear Phased Array for Interference Suppression Using Array Polynomial Method and Particle Swarm Optimization
In this work, a linear phased array pattern design with null steering is achieved using the array polynomial technique and the Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) algorithm. The null steering for interference suppression is obtained by controlling some of the roots on the Schelkunoff’s unit circle while keeping the roots responsible for the main beam unchanged. The rest of the roots are controlled to minimize the Side Lobe Level (SLL) of the array pattern using the PSO algorithm. It has been demonstrated that this technique achieved more than 50% reduction in the parameters needed to be optimized compared with the conventional complex coefficients optimization techniques. Consequently, the fitness function is only responsible for the SLL as the prescribed controlled nulls and the mainbeam characteristics are solved analytically. The simulated results show the effectiveness of the proposed technique.
KeywordsLinear phased arrays Null steering Array polynomial Pattern synthesis PSO
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Quevedo-Teruel O., Rajo-Iglesias E. (2006) Ant colony optimization in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 5(1): 349–352Google Scholar
- 8.Awan, H., Abdullah, K., & Faryad, M. (2008). Implementing smart antenna system using genetic algorithm and artificial immune system. 17th international confernece on microwaves, radar and wireless communications, (pp. 1–4) May 19–21, 2008.Google Scholar
- 12.Rattan M., Patterh M. S., Sohi B. S. (2008) Antenna array optimization using evolutionary approaches. Apeiron 15(1): 78Google Scholar
- 13.Jianfeng, Y., Weizheng, P., & Jim, Z. (2008). Immune algorithm in array-pattern synthesis with side lobe reduction. International conference on microwave and millimeter wave technology, ICMMT 2008, (pp. 1127–1130) April 21–24, 2008.Google Scholar
- 17.Donelli, M., Azaro, R., De Natale, F., & Massa, A. (2006). An innovative computational approach based on a particle swarm strategy for adaptive phased-arrays control. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. AP-54(3).Google Scholar
- 21.Kennedy, J., & Eberhart, R. C. (1995). Particle swarm optimization. In Proceedings of the IEEE conference on neural networks IV, Piscataway, NJ.Google Scholar