Cooperative MAC Design in Multi-hop Wireless Networks: Part I: When Source and Destination are within the Transmission Range of Each Other
- 172 Downloads
Cooperative communication is regarded as a promising technology in future 5G wireless networks to enhance network performance by exploiting time and/or space diversity via distributed terminals. In this paper, we propose a cooperative medium access protocol which addresses three key aspects of cooperative communications from MAC layer perspective, namely, when to cooperate, whom to cooperate with and how to protect ongoing cooperative transmissions. To further improve the protocol performance in dense networks, three techniques are investigated to avoid potential collision among multiple contending relays. Both analysis and simulation results demonstrate that significant improvement in terms of throughput and packet delivery ratio can be achieved by the proposed cooperative protocol.
Keywords5G One-hop cooperative MAC Relay selection Collision avoidance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Azgin A., Altunbasak Y., AlRegib G. (2005) Cooperative MAC and routing protocols for wireless ad hoc networks. Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM 5: 2854–2859Google Scholar
- 5.Moh S., Yu C., Park S., Kim H. (2007) CD-MAC: Cooperative diversity MAC for robust communication in wireless ad hoc networks. Proceedings of IEEE ICC 1: 3636–3641Google Scholar
- 6.Dianati M., Ling X., Naik K., Shen X. (2006) A node-cooperative ARQ scheme for wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Transactions on Communications 55: 1032–1044Google Scholar
- 8.Liu P., Tao Z., Narayanan S., Korakis T., Panwar S. (2007) CoopMAC: A cooperative MAC for wireless LANs. IEEE JSAC 25: 340–354Google Scholar
- 9.Pathmasuritharam J. S., Das A., Gupta A. K. (2005) Efficient multirate relaying (EMR) MAC protocol for ad hoc networks. Proceedings of IEEE ICC 5: 2947–2951Google Scholar
- 10.Bletsas A., Khisti A., Reed D. P., Lippman A. (2006) A simple cooperative diversity method based on network path selection. IEEE JSAC 24(3): 672–695Google Scholar
- 11.He, X., & Li, F. Y. (2010). A multi-relay cooperative automatic repeat request protocol in wireless networks. Proceedings of IEEE ICC.Google Scholar
- 12.Bianchi G. (2000) Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function. IEEE JSAC 18(1): 535–547Google Scholar