Comparison of Conventional and Cross-Layer Multimedia Transport Schemes for Wireless Networks
- 57 Downloads
Three competing schemes have been proposed for multimedia transport over broadband wireless channels: (a) traditional UDP (Postel, The User Datagram Protocol, 1980 ), (b) semi-cross-layer UDP-Lite (The Lightweight User Datagram Protocol, 2004 ), and (c) cross-layer header estimation (Khayam et al., IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 9(2):377–385, 2007 ; Khayam and Radha, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 6(11):3946–3954, 2007 ). In all these schemes, corrupted and lost packets are recovered using FEC at the application layer. In this paper, we analytically and experimentally compare the performances of these broadband wireless multimedia schemes. First, we derive lower bounds on the excepted FEC redundancy required by ideal cross-layer header estimation, UDP and UDP-Lite over an arbitrary-order Markov wireless channel. We show that under realistic wireless channel conditions, the cross-layer header estimation scheme always requires lesser redundancy than UDP and UDP-Lite. We then propose a practical minimum distance decoding (MDD) header estimation scheme, which is receiver-based, low complexity and highly accurate. Trace-driven multimedia experiments over wireless LANs demonstrate that MDD header estimation requires significantly lesser FEC redundancy and renders better video quality than existing schemes.
KeywordsWireless multimedia Cross-layer design UDP-Lite Header estimation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Postel, J. (1980). The User Datagram Protocol. RFC 768, August 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.Larzon, L.-A., Degermark, M., Pink, S., Jonsson, L.-E., & Fairhurst, G. (2004). The Lightweight User Datagram Protocol (UDP-Lite). RFC 3828, July 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.Masala, E., Bottero, M., & De Martin, J. C. (2005). MAC-level partial checksum for H.264 video transmission over 802.11 ad hoc wireless networks. In IEEE VTC, Stockholm, Sweden, May 2005, Vol. 5, pp. 2864–2868.Google Scholar
- 6.Servetti, A., & De Martin, J. C. (2005). Error tolerant MAC extension for speech communications over 802.11 WLANs. In IEEE VTC, Stockholm, Sweden, May 2005, Vol. 4, pp. 2330–2334.Google Scholar
- 7.Singh, A., Konrad, A., & Joseph, A. D. (2001). Performance evaluation of UDP-Lite for cellular video. In ACM NOSSDAV, New York, USA.Google Scholar
- 13.Blahut R. E. (1984) Theory and practice of error control codes. Addison-Wesley, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- 14.Draft ITU-T Recommendation and Final Draft International Standard of Joint Video Specification (ITU-T Rec. H.264 | ISO/IEC 14496-10 AVC), Doc. JVT-G050, March 2003.Google Scholar