A Cross-System Approach for Multimedia Services with IP Multicast in 4G Networks
- 100 Downloads
The increased demand for multimedia services by mobile end users in recent years have driven both Broadcast and Wireless Network operators to develop new systems and architectures for the deployment of such services. The proposed solutions are nonetheless limited either in terms of QoS or Capabilities to deliver new interactive services. This paper highlights strengths and drawbacks of the existing technologies in terms of QoS, Security and Mobility. In order to fill the gap between current solutions we propose a new architecture that builds itself on the synergies created by a heterogeneous network made of existing delivering technologies, such as 3GPP/MBMS and DVB, where services can be delivered to end-users in the most appropriate way for end-users and operators alike. A prototype implementation is further described.
KeywordsIP Multicast DVB MBMS Broadcast Mobility
3rd Generation Partnership Project
Authentication, Authorization, Accounting, Auditing and Charging
British Broadcasting Company
Broadcast Multicast Service Center
Common Open Policy Service
Digital Multimedia Broadcast
Digital Rights Management
Digital Video Broadcast
Enhanced Data Rates for GM Evolution
Fast Binding Update
GSM EDGE Radio Access Network
Gateway GPRS Support Node
General Packet Radio Service
Internet Engineering Task Force
Internet Service Provider
Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service
Multicast Context Transfer
Multicast Listener Discovery
MBMS Service Keys
Portable Digital Assistants
Protocol Independent Multicast
Point of Attachment
Quality of Service
Radio Access Network
Systems Beyond 3G
Session Encryption Key
Serving GPRS Support Node
Simple Network Management Protocol
Service Provisioning Platform
Secure Real Time Protocol
Source Specific Multicast
Transport Encryption Key
UniDirectional Link Routing
UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aguiar R.L., Sarma A., Bijwaard D., MarchettiL. Pacyna P., Pascotto R. (2007) Pervasiveness in a competitive multi-operator environment: The Daidalos project. IEEE Communications Magazine, Large Projects section 45(10): 22–26Google Scholar
- Aguiar, R., et al. (2004). Designing networks for the delivery of advanced flexible personal services: The Daidalos approach. In IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit 2004, Lyon, France, June 2004.Google Scholar
- Chow, E., et al. (2003). Secured advanced federated environment (SAFE): A NASA solution for secure cross-organization collaboration. In Proceedings WET ICE 2003, June 2003.Google Scholar
- Durham, D., Ed., et al. (2000). The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol. Internet Eng. Task Force, RFC 2748, January 2000, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2748.txt.
- Duros, E., et al. (2001). A link-layer tunneling mechanism for unidirectional links. Internet Eng. Task Force RFC3077, March 2001, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3077.txt.
- Gomes, D., & Aguiar, R. L. (2007). IP Multicast dynamic mapping in heterogeneous environments, PIMRC 2007. In 18th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Athens, Sep 2007.Google Scholar
- 3GPP TR 23.846. Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service (MBMS); Stage 2 (Release 6).Google Scholar
- 3GPP TS 23.246. Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service (MBMS); Architecture and functional description (Release 8).Google Scholar
- Koodli, R. (2005). Fast handovers for Mobile IPv6. In IETF RFC 4068, July 2005.Google Scholar
- Loughney, J., Nakhjiri, M., Perkins, C., & Koodli, R. (2005). Context Transfer Protocol (CXTP). In RFC 4067, July 2005.Google Scholar
- MGEN, The Multi-Generator Toolset WebSite: http://pf.itd.nrl.navy.mil/mgen/, as in June 2006.
- Multicast | TV & Radio. http://www.bbc.co.uk/multicast/, October 2007.
- Patel G., Dennett S. (2000) The 3GPP and 3GPP2 movements toward an all-IP mobile network. IEEE [see also IEEE Wireless Communications] 7(4): 62–64 (Personal Communications)Google Scholar
- Santos J., Sénica N., Sargento S., Aguiar R.L. (2007) Mobility between heterogeneous networks: Integration and evaluation. The Mediterranean Journal of Computers and Networks, Special Issue on Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing 3(1): 31–42Google Scholar
- Sargento, S., Gomes, D., Matos, A., & Aguiar, R. L. (2006). QoS signalling in 4G scenarios 2006. In Proceedings of IST—Mobile Summit, Myconos, Greece, June 2006.Google Scholar
- Vida, R., & Costa, L. (2004). Multicast listener discovery version 2 (MLDv2) for IPv6. Internet Eng. Task Force RFC3810, June 2004, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3810.txt.