Enhancing Channel Estimation in Cognitive Radio Systems by means of Bayesian Networks
- 346 Downloads
This paper proposes enhancements to the channel(-state) estimation phase of a cognitive radio system. Cognitive radio devices have the ability to dynamically select their operating configurations, based on environment aspects, goals, profiles, preferences etc. The proposed method aims at evaluating the various candidate configurations that a cognitive transmitter may operate in, by associating a capability e.g., achievable bit-rate, with each of these configurations. It takes into account calculations of channel capacity provided by channel-state estimation information (CSI) and the sensed environment, and at the same time increases the certainty about the configuration evaluations by considering past experience and knowledge through the use of Bayesian networks. Results from comprehensive scenarios show the impact of our method on the behaviour of cognitive radio systems, whereas potential application and future work are identified.
KeywordsCognitive networks Channel-State Information (CSI) Machine learning Bayesian networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.European Radiocommunications Committee (ERC) (2002). European table of frequency allocations and utilizations frequency range 9 kHz to 275 GHz. ERC Report 25, January 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.End-to-End Efficiency (E3) project (2008). https://ict-e3.eu/.
- 6.Demestichas, P., Boscovic, D., Stavroulaki, V., Lee, A., & Strassner, J. (2006). m@ANGEL: Autonomic management platform for seamless wireless cognitive connectivity. IEEE Communications Magazine, 44(6).Google Scholar
- 7.Strassner, J. (2005). Policy-based network management: Solutions for the next generation. Morgan Kaufmann (Series in networking).Google Scholar
- 8.Neapolitan R.E. (2003) Learning Bayesian networks. Prentice-Hall, NJGoogle Scholar
- 9.Pearl J. (1988) Probabilistic reasoning in intelligent systems. Morgan Kaufmann, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rashad, I., Budiarjo, I., & Nikookar, H. (2007). Efficient pilot pattern for OFDM-based cognitive radio channel estimation—Part 1. In Communications and Vehicular Technology in the Benelux, 2007 14th IEEE Symposium on (pp. 1–5, 15–15). November 2007.Google Scholar
- 18.Budiarjo, I., Rashad, I., & Nikookar, H. (2007). Efficient pilot pattern for OFDM-based cognitive radio channel estimation—Part 2. In Communications and Vehicular Technology in the Benelux, 2007 14th IEEE Symposium on (pp.1–5, 15–15). November 2007.Google Scholar
- 19.Soysal, A., Ulukus, S., & Clancy, C. (2008). Channel estimation and adaptive M-QAM in cognitive radio links. In Proc. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 08’, Beijing, China, 19th–23rd May, 2008.Google Scholar
- 20.Heckerman, D. (1995). A tutorial on learning with Bayesian networks. In Report No. MSR-TR-95–06, Microsoft Research.Google Scholar
- 21.Tetko I.V., Livingstone D.J., Luik A.I. (1995) Neural network studies. 1. Comparison of overfitting and overtraining. Journal of Chemical Information and Computer Sciences 35: 826–833Google Scholar
- 22.Khanafer, R., Moltsen, L., Dubreil, H., Altman, Z., & Barco, R. (2006). A Bayesian approach for automated troubleshooting for UMTS networks. In Proc. 17th IEEE Int’l Symp. Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Comm. (PIMRC ’06), August 2006.Google Scholar
- 24.Barco, R., Lázaro, P., Díez, L., & Wille, V. (2008). Continuous versus discrete model in auto-diagnosis systems for wireless networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, in press.Google Scholar
- 26.Demestichas, K., Koutsorodi, A., Adamopoulou, E., & Theologou, M. (2007). Modelling user preferences and configuring services in B3G devices. Wireless Networks in press.Google Scholar
- 27.Bauer, E., Koller, D., & Singer, Y. (1997). Update rules for parameter estimation in Bayesian networks. In Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference on Uncertainty in AI (1997), pp. 3–13.Google Scholar
- 28.Zhang, S. Z., Yu, H., Ding, H., Yang, N. H., & Wang, X. K. (2003). An application of online learning algorithm for Bayesian network parameter. In 2003 International Conference on, Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, pp. 153–156, November 2003.Google Scholar