IP Transmission over TETRA Packet Data Service: Simulation and Measurement Results
- 159 Downloads
This paper evaluates the packet data performance of Internet Protocol (IP) over TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA), focusing on the effects of packet size and message transmission rate. We performed a range of simulations to evaluate the average packet delay and packet failure probability corresponding to IP datagram transmission on the Packet Data CHannel (PDCH) in a TETRA cell. We employed IP packets of different sizes and we considered a number of different scenarios with respect to the number of users in a cell and datagram transmission rate. The simulation results offer TETRA operators the means for facilitating network planning and optimization of datagram-based services. Apart from the simulation, we also conducted an extensive measurement survey on the performance of IP over the TETRA PDCH. In particular, we carried out measurements in a client–server communication scenario with different datagram sizes and typical user mobility and radio propagation conditions. Measurement results include throughput, delay jitter, percentage of lost datagrams and out-of-order datagrams. The results obtained through our measurement survey can extent and enhance the simulation results because they are more realistic and consider user mobility as well as channel impairments.
KeywordsTETRA Private Mobile Radio Terrestrial Trunked Radio Packet data over wireless Communication system performance Packet radio Mobile communications
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ETSI EN 300 392-2 v2.6.1. (2006). Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA); Voice plus Data (V + D); Part 2: Air Interface (AI). May 2006.Google Scholar
- 2.ETSI, EN 300 392-7 v2.3.1. (2006). Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA); Voice plus Data (V + D); Part 7: Security. June 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.ETSI EN 302 109 V1.1.1. (2003). Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA); Security; Synchronization mechanism for end-to-end encryption. October 2003.Google Scholar
- 4.Kuypers, D., & Schinnenburg, M. (2005). Traffic performance evaluation of data links in TETRA and TETRAPOL. In Proceedings of 11th European Wireless Conference 2005 (Vol. 2, pp. 645–651). Nicosia, Cyprus, Apr. 2005.Google Scholar
- 5.Hoymann, C., et al. (2002). Performance analysis of TETRA and TAPS and implications for future broadband public safety communication systems, International Workshop on Broadband Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks and Services, ETSI, Sophia Antipolis, France, pp. 1–18, Sep. 2002.Google Scholar
- 6.Li, S. (2004). Performance modelling of TETRA air interface. Master Thesis, Technical University of Denmark, June 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.Axiotis, D. I., & Salkintzis, A. K. (2008). Impact of voice traffic on the performance of packet data in TETRA networks. Accepted for publication In IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 57 (4), pp. 1–13, doi: 10.1109/TVT.2007.914050.
- 10.Motorola Dimetra Release 5.1/5.2, Packet Data Service Programmers Guide, Issue F, December 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.IETF RFC 768.(1980). User Datagram Protocol. August 1980, available online at http://www.rfc-editor.org.
- 13.IETF RFC 3550. (2003). RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications. July 2003, available online at http://www.rfc-editor.org/.
- 14.ETSI, ETR 300-2. (1997). Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA); Voice plus Data (V + D); Designers’ guide; Part 2: Radio channels, network protocols and service performance. May 1997.Google Scholar