Cellular Controlled Short-Range Communication for Cooperative P2P Networking
- 497 Downloads
This article advocates a novel communication architecture and associated collaborative framework for future wireless communication systems. In contrast to the dominating cellular architecture and the upcoming peer-to-peer architecture, the new approach envisions a cellular controlled short-range communication network among cooperating mobile and wireless devices. The role of the mobile device will change, from being an agnostic entity in respect to the surrounding world to a cognitive device. This cognitive device is capable of being aware of the neighboring devices as well as on the possibility to establish cooperation with them. The novel architecture together with several possible cooperative strategies will bring clear benefits for the network and service providers, mobile device manufacturers and also end users.
KeywordsWireless cooperative networking Peer-to-peer networking Energy efficiency Medium access control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fitzek, F. H. P., & Katz, M. (2006). Cooperation in wireless networks: Principles and applications – real egoistic behavior is to cooperate! Springer.Google Scholar
- 2.Fitzek, F. H. P., Schulte, G., & Reisslein, M. (2007). System architecture for billing of multi-player games in a wireless environment using GSM/UMTS and WLAN services. In Proceedings of the First Workshop on Network and System Support for Games (NetGames 2002), pp. 58–64. Braunschweig, Germany.Google Scholar
- 3.Stini, M., Mauve, M., & Fitzek, F. H. P. (2006). Digital ownership: From content consumers to owners and traders. IEEE MultiMedia, 13(4), 1, 4–6.Google Scholar
- 4.Pietrarca, B., Sasso, G., Perrucci, G. P., Fitzek, F. H. P., & Katz, M. (2007). Measurement campaign on connectivity of mesh networks formed by mobile devices. In MeshTech’07 – First IEEE International Workshop on Enabling Technologies and Standards for Wireless Mesh Networking. IEEE, Pisa, Italy.Google Scholar
- 5.Kelényi, I. (2007). Budapest University of Technology and Economics. http://www.symtorrent.aut.bme.hu/
- 6.Fitzek, F. H. P., & Reichert, F. (2007). Mobile phone programming and its application to wireless networking. Springer. ISBN 978-1-4020-5968-1.Google Scholar
- 7.Atheros Power consumption and energy efficiency comparisons of wlan products. White paper, Atheros Communications. http://www.atheros.com/pt/whitepapers/atheros_power_whitepaper.pdf.
- 8.Fitzek, F. H. P., & Katz, M. (2007). Cognitive wireless networks: Concepts, methodologies and visions, inspiring the age of enlightenment of wireless communications. Springer. ISBN 978-1-4020-5978-0.Google Scholar
- 9.Albiero, F., Fitzek, F. H. P., & Katz, M. (2007). Cooperative power saving strategies. In Wireless Neworks: An Agent-based model in IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems.Google Scholar