Advanced Spectrum Functionalities for Future Radio Networks
- 69 Downloads
The IST WINNER (WINNER is part of the European Union research programme within the Sixth Framework Programme (FP6) of the European Information Society Technology (IST) programme. Accepted for the Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF) 2006 Industrial Forum (Kermoal, J.-P. et al. (2006). Spectrum deployment scenarios and advanced functionalities development in WINNER.) project is a major European research activity to develop a flexible and scalable radio access system for 4G, which is addressing the challenging requirements for future systems such as those of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in terms of overall performance, flexibility, scalability and optimized spectrum usage. In this article, the Radio Resource Management (RRM) spectrum functionalities are defined and subsequently analyzed. The proposed RRM spectrum architecture developed will result in reducing the time required to tailor new services to network operators. Furthermore, the flexible spectrum access and usage leads to more capable and faster services with high Quality-of-Service (QoS) giving more user satisfaction than conventional networks. The inherent centralization and decentralization degree for the functionalities is outlined and discussed since flexible spectrum techniques on both fast and slow basis will lead to a better utilization of spectrum.
KeywordsFuture Radio Networks Flexible spectrum use Spectrum sharing and coexistence Radio Resource Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kermoal, J.-P., Ojanen, P., Lara, J., Thilakawardana, S., Abedi, S., Pintenet, R., Bennis, M., & Hooli, K. (2006). Spectrum deployment scenarios and advanced functionalities development in WINNER. Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF) meeting 17, Helsinki, November.Google Scholar
- 5.ITU-R Rec. M.1645. Framework and overall objectives of the future development of IMT-2000 and systems beyond IMT-2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Hooli, K., Thilakawardana, S., Lara, J., Kermoal, J.-P., & Pfletschinger, S. (2006). Flexible spectrum Use between WINNER Radio Access Networks. IST mobile and wireless summit, Mykonos, Greece, June.Google Scholar
- 7.ITU-R Report M.2078.Google Scholar
- 8.ITU-R Report M.2079.Google Scholar
- 9.Hooli, K. et al. (2005). Radio resource management architecture for spectrum sharing in B3G systems. Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF) meeting 15, Paris, December.Google Scholar
- 10.von Häfen, J. et al. (2005). D7.6 WINNER system concept description. IST WINNER, October. http://www.ist-winner.org
- 11.Axnäs, J. et al. (2006). WINNER system concept: Capabilities and spectrum usage. Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF) meeting 16, Shanghai, April.Google Scholar