Error Performance of Rotated Phase Shift Keying Modulation over Fading Channels
- 226 Downloads
In this paper, the modulation diversity is used to improve the performance of M-PSK modulation over fading channels. Modulation diversity can be achieved by rotating the signal constellation and using component interleaving. We derive symbol error probability expressions for rotated uncoded M-PSK over Ricean fading channels and obtain optimal rotation angles for M-PSK (M = 2, 4, 8). We show that rotated signal constellations with component interleaving improve the performance of M-PSK significantly as compared to the unrotated one over Rayleigh and Ricean fading channels. For example, when the ratio of the direct path power to the multipath signal power, K is 0 and 10, 8 and 1.5 dB gains are obtained, respectively, at a symbol error probability of 10−3 for 8PSK modulation. We also show that as K gets larger, the gain obtained by the rotation rapidly decreases. We develop a new asymmetric 8PSK signal constellation obtained from two QPSK signal constellations that are optimally rotated by different angles. This asymmetric 8PSK and also the rotated 8PSK signal constellation together with component interleaving are applied to four-state trellis-coded schemes. Simulation results show that these new schemes provide good performance improvements over the original TCM schemes and previous relevant works over Rayleigh and Ricean fading channels.
KeywordsModulation diversity M-PSK modulation Fading channels Trellis-coded modulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boullé, K., & Belfiore, J. C. (1992). Modulation schemes designed for the Rayleigh channel. In Proceedings of the CISS’92, Princeton, pp. 288–293.Google Scholar
- Wilson, S. G., & Leung, Y. S. (1987). Trellis-coded phase modulation on Rayleigh channels. In Proceedings of the ICC’87 conf. rec., Seattle, WA, pp. 21.3.1–21.3.5.Google Scholar
- Proakis J.G. (2001). Digital communications. NewYork, McGraw-HillGoogle Scholar
- Simon M.K., Alouini M.S. (2000). Digital communications over generalized fading channels: A unified approach to performance analysis. New York, WileyGoogle Scholar
- Abramowitz M., Stegun I.A. (1970). Handbook of mathematical functions with formulas, graphs and mathematical tables (9th ed). New York, DoverGoogle Scholar
- Özyurt, S. (2005). Performance of phase shift keying modulation with rotated signal constellation over fading channels. M.Sc. thesis, Electronics Engineering Department, Gebze Institute of Technology, Turkey.Google Scholar
- Özyurt, S., Kucur, O., & Altunbaş, I. (2005). Performance of rotated phase shift keying modulation over Ricean fading channels. In Proceedings of the IEEE ISWCS’05, Siena, Italy.Google Scholar
- Jeličić B.D., Roy S. (1994). Design of trellis coded QAM for flat fading and AWGN channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 44(1): 192–201Google Scholar