Joint Parameter Estimation for UWB Energy Detectors Using OOK
- 76 Downloads
In this paper, joint estimation of the optimal threshold, synchronization point, and integration interval is developed for ultrawideband (UWB) energy detectors employing on-off keying (OOK) modulation. Gaussian approximation of the received signal statistics is shown to enable low complexity solutions at the expense of some performance degradation. The performances of the optimal and suboptimal solutions are evaluated and compared. It is shown that explicit BER minimization is required for parameter optimization. Using simulations, number of training symbols required to converge to ideal parameter estimates is demonstrated to be increasing with increasing SNR.
Keywordsultrawideband UWB energy detector threshold optimum integration interval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Weisenhorn and W. Hirt, “Robust Noncoherent Receiver Exploiting UWB Channel Properties”, in Proc. IEEE Ultrawideband Syst. Technol. (UWBST),Kyoto, Japan, May 2004, pp. 156-160.Google Scholar
- A. Rabbachin and I. Oppermann, “Synchronization Analysis for UWB Systems with a Low-Complexity Energy Collection Receiver”, in Proc. IEEE Ultrawideband Syst. Technol. (UWBST),Kyoto, Japan, May 2004, pp. 288–292.Google Scholar
- P. A. Humblet and M. Azizoglu, “On the Bit Error Rate of Lightwave Systems with Optical Amplifiers”, J. of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 9, No. 11, pp. 1576–1582, Nov. 1991.Google Scholar
- J. Foerster, “IEEE P802.15 Working Group for Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs), Channel Modeling Sub-Committee Report – final”, Mar. 2003. [Online]. Available: http://www.ieee802.org/15/pub/2003/Mar03/.
- B. Mielczarek, M. Wessman, and A. Svensson, “Performance of Coherent UWB Rake Receivers with Channel Estimators”, in Proc. IEEE Vehic. Technol. Conf,Vol. 3, Orlando, FL, Oct. 2003, pp. 1880-1884.Google Scholar
- S. Paquelet, L. M. Aubert, and B. Uguen, “An Impulse Radio Asynchronous Transceiver for High Data Rates”, in Proc. IEEE Ultrawideband Syst. Technol. (UWBST),Kyoto, Japan, May 2004, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- V. Lottici, A. D’Andrea, and U. Mengali, “Channel Estimation for Ultra-Wideband Communications”, IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, No. 9, pp. 1638–1645, Dec. 2002.Google Scholar
- N. F. Krasner, “Efficient Search Methods Using Energy Detectors-Maximum Probability of Detection”, IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 273–279, March 1986.Google Scholar