Output SNR Improvement in Array Processing Architectures of WCDMA Systems by Low Side Lobe Beamforming
- 67 Downloads
In Wideband direct sequence code division multiple access (WCDMA) same frequency spectrum is shared through all cells simultaneously, as opposed to TDMA which is used for most 2nd generation systems. In a WCDMA system all transmitted signals turn out to be disturbing factors to all other users in the system in the form of interference limiting the system capacity. To suppress the amount of interference, fast and reliable interference controlling algorithms must be employed in next generation systems. In this paper it is shown that antenna arrays with steer able low side lobes can reduce interference in WCDMA can increase the system capacity and output signal to noise ratio of the array processing architecture. The performance metric O/P SNR of an array processing architectures is simulated in an interfering environment to demonstrate the advantage of low side lobe beamforming over adaptive antennas.
Keywordslow side-lobe beamforming output SNR array processing architectures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Tanaka, A. Harada, T. Ihara, M. Sawahashi, and F. Adachi, “Combined Effect of Coherent Adaptive Antenna Array Diversity and SINR Based Fast Transmit Power Control in WCDMA Reverse Link”, IEICE Trans of Communications, Vol. E84-B, No. 3, pp. 425–433, March 2001Google Scholar
- 3.R. Kohno et al., “Combination of an Adaptive Array Antenna and a Canceller of Interference for Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum Multiple Access System”, IEEE JSAC, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 675–682, May 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Buracchini et al., “Performance Analysis of a Mobile System Based on Combined SDMA/CDMA Access Technique”, IEEE ISSTA'96, Mainz, Germany, pp. 370–374, September 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Durrani and M.E. Bailkowski, “Simulation of the Performance of Smart Antenna in the Reverse Link of CDMA System”, IEEE MTT-S Digest, pp. 575–578, 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Lu Xiaode, G. Benquing, and L. Ruixiang, “Application of Monte Carlo Algorithm in Beamforming for smart antenna”, IEEE PIMRC, pp. 203–206, 2003.Google Scholar
- 9.B.D. Van Veen and K.M. Buckley, “Beamforming: A Versatile Approach to Spatial Filtering”, IEEE ASSP Magazine, pp. 4–24, April 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.D.G. Manolakis, V.K. Ingle, and S.M. Kogon, Statistical and Adaptive Signal Processing. Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2000.Google Scholar
- 12.Rajneesh Kumar, “System Level Improvements in Down Link of TD-CDMA Mobile Communications”, PhD Thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 2000.Google Scholar