ITU TWDM-PON module for ns-3
- 1 Downloads
Optical fiber access systems are one of the driving forces behind the success of the Internet. Time- and wavelength-division multiplexing passive optical network (TWDM-PON) is regarded as the key technology for future Internet access networks. In this paper, we propose an ITU TWDM-PON module for the ns-3 network simulator and describe its concept and design specifications. The proposed module is developed based on the XG-PON module for ns-3. It can simulate G.989 standard-compliant data packet transmission in the upstream and downstream directions using multiple wavelength channels. It enables us to evaluate the performance issues that arise with the TWDM-PON development, including various dynamic bandwidth allocation and dynamic wavelength allocation algorithms. The proposed module is expected to become a good platform for studying future access networks composed of TWDM-PON and mobile networks by enabling us to simulate dynamic wavelength and bandwidth allocation.
Keywordsns-3 TWDM-PON Wavelength allocation Bandwidth allocation
- 1.Alvarez, P., Marchetti, N., Payne, D., & Ruffini, M. (2014). Backhauling mobile systems with XG-PON using grouped assured bandwidth. In 19th European conference on networks and optical communications-(NOC) (pp. 91–96). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 2.Arokkiam, J., Wu, X., Brown, K. N., Sreenan, C. J., et al. (2014). Experimental evaluation of TCP performance over 10Gb/s passive optical networks (XG-PON). In Global communications conference (GLOBECOM) (pp. 2223–2228). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 3.Arokkiam, J. A., Brown, K. N., & Sreenan, C. J. (2015). Refining the GIANT dynamic bandwidth allocation mechanism for XG-PON. In International conference on communications (ICC) (pp. 1006–1011). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 4.Chang, C. H. (2008). Dynamic bandwidth allocation MAC protocols for gigabit-capable passive optical networks. Ph.D. thesis, University of Hertfordshire, UK.Google Scholar
- 6.IEEE Standard 8023ah. (2004). Ethernet in the first mile.Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE Standard 8023av. (2009). 10gbit/s ethernet passive optical networks.Google Scholar
- 8.ITU-T G984 Series Recommendations. (2008). Gigabit-capable passive optical networks (gpon).Google Scholar
- 9.ITU-T G987 Series Recommendations. (2012). 10 gigabit-capable passive optical network (xg-pon).Google Scholar
- 10.ITU-T G989 Series Recommendations. (2016). 40-Gigabit-capable passive optical networks 2 (NG-PON2).Google Scholar
- 11.Khan, A., Bilal, S., & Othman, M. (2013). A performance comparison of network simulators for wireless networks. In International conference on control system, computing and engineering (ICCSCE) (pp. 34–38). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 13.Nakayama, Y., & Yasunaga, R. (2019). ITU TWDM-PON module for ns-3 network simulator. In Proceedings of SIMUtools 2018/2019.Google Scholar
- 15.ns-3. (2019). http://www.nsnam.org/. Retrieved July 2019.
- 16.Oliveira, R., Frances, C., Costa, J., Viana, D., Lima, M., & Teixeira, A. (2014). Analysis of the cost-effective digital radio over fiber system in the NG-PON2 context. In 16th international telecommunications network strategy and planning symposium (networks) (pp. 1–6). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 17.OPNET Modeler. (2019). Retrieved from http://www.opnet.com/. Retrieved July 2019.
- 18.Peng, Z., & Radcliffe, P. (2011). Modeling and simulation of ethernet passive optical network (epon) experiment platform based on opnet modeler. In 3rd international conference on communication software and networks (ICCSN) (pp. 99–104). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 19.Pinto, T., Farias, J. E., & Reis, J. D. (2015). Simulation and experimental results for up to 40 Gbit/s/user coherent DWDM-PON systems. In International workshop on telecommunications (IWT) (pp. 1–4). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 20.Rampfl, S. (2013). Network simulation and its limitations. In Proceeding zum seminar future internet (FI), Innovative Internet Technologien und Mobilkommunikation (IITM) und autonomous communication networks (ACN) (Vol. 57).Google Scholar
- 22.Wu, X., Brown, K. N., Sreenan, C. J., Alvarez, P., Ruffini, M., Marchetti, N., Payne, D., & Doyle, L. (2013). An XG-PON module for the ns-3 network simulator. In Proceedings of the 6th international ICST conference on simulation tools and techniques (pp. 195–202).Google Scholar