Bhattacharyya distance criterion based multibit quantizer design for cooperative spectrum sensing in cognitive radio networks
- 9 Downloads
Cooperative spectrum sensing (CSS) is crucial for dynamic spectrum access in cognitive radio networks. This paper considers a CSS scheme by using a multilevel quantizer in each sensing node (SN) to quantize the local energy detector’s observation. A log-likelihood ratio test detector by using quantized data received from each SN is proposed to determine the presence or absence of the primary user signal. The Bhattacharyya distance (BD) of the cooperative sensing system is derived. Then, a quantizer design scheme by maximizing the BD that as the criterion function in an optimization problem with respect to the quantization thresholds is proposed. As nonlinear and high-dimensional of the objective function, a particle swarm optimization algorithm is employed to solve operating parameters for the quantizer. Furthermore, we derive the upper bound performance on cooperative energy detection (CED) in CSS. To validate the effectiveness of the proposed approach, The quantizer is compared with other schemes in terms of detection performance. Simulation results show that 2- or 3-bit quantization of the proposed approach achieves comparable performance to upper bound of CED without quantization.
KeywordsMultibit quantization Bhattacharyya distance Particle swarm optimization algorithm Cooperative spectrum sensing
This work was supported by the Sichuan Province Science and Technology Program Research Project (No. 2019YJ0174). The authors would like to thank anonymous reviewers and editors for their constructive comments.
- 5.Zhu, S., Akofor, E., & Chen, B. (2013). Interactive distributed detection with conditionally independent observations. In Proceedings of IEEE wireless communications and networking conference (pp. 2531–2535). Shanghai.Google Scholar
- 7.Gohain, P., & Chaudhari, S. (2017). Cooperative energy detection using Dempster–Shafer theory under noise uncertainties. In Proceedings of IEEE COMSNET (pp. 360–366). Bangalore.Google Scholar
- 9.Boulogeorgos, A. A., Chatzidiamantis, N. D., & Karagiannidis, G. K. (2016). Spectrum sensing with multiple primary users over fading channels. IEEE Communications Letters, 20(7), 1457–1460.Google Scholar
- 13.Cacciapuoti, A. S., Caleffi, M., & Paura, L. (2010). Widely linear cooperative spectrum sensing for cognitive radio networks. In IEEE global telecommunications conference (pp. 1–5). Florida.Google Scholar
- 14.Xin, L., Min, J., Xueyan, Z., & et al (2018). A novel multi-channel internet of things based on dynamic spectrum sharing in 5G communication. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 14(8), 1–9.Google Scholar
- 21.Oh, D., Lee, H., & Lee, H. Y. (2010). Linear hard decision combining for cooperative spectrum sensing in cognitive radio systems. In Proceedings of 71nd IEEE vehicular technology conference (pp. 1–5). Taipei.Google Scholar
- 23.Althunibat, S., & Granelli, F. (2014). Energy efficiency analysis of soft and hard cooperative spectrum sensing schemes in cognitive radio networks. In Proceedings of 79th IEEE vehicular technology conference (pp. 18–21). Seoul.Google Scholar
- 29.Mhanna, M., Duhamel, P., & Piantanida, P. (2016). Quantization for distributed binary detection under secrecy constraints. In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on communications (pp. 1–6). Kuala Lumpur.Google Scholar
- 31.Shin, I., Lee, W., Kang, J., Kang, J., & Al-Araji, S. (2015). Quantization bit allocation for reporting-throughput tradeoff in cooperative cognitive radio networks. In Proceedings of IEEE MILCOM (pp. 233–237). Tampa.Google Scholar
- 33.Ejaz, W., Hattab, G., Attia, T., Ibnkahla, M., Abdelkefi, F., & Siala, M. (2016). Joint quantization and confidence-based generalized combining scheme for cooperative spectrum sensing. IEEE Systems Journal, 12(2), 1–12.Google Scholar
- 38.Hero, A. O., Ma, B., Michel, O., & Gorman, J. (2001). Alpha-divergence for classification, indexing and retrieval (online). http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~hero/Preprints/cspl-328.pdf.