Enhancing iris template matching with the optimal path method
- 15 Downloads
Iris recognition provides a way to obtain a unique biometry-based digital key, which cannot be lost or forgotten. The accuracy of iris matching is strongly affected by correctness of alignment of its local features. It is proposed to split the matched images into several segments, then the alignment is sought using the method of the optimal path. The influence of the number of segments and restrictions on the mobility of neighboring segments on the recognition accuracy is investigated. Computational experiments were carried out with ICE2005 and CASIA databases.
KeywordsBiometric identification Iris recognition Optimal path
Mathematics Subject Classification68U10 92C55
- 1.Bowyer, K., Hollingsworth, K., & Flynn, P. (2013). A survey of iris biometrics research: 2008–2010. In M. J. Burge & K. W. Bowyer (Eds.), Handbook of iris recognition, advances in computer vision and pattern recognition (pp. 15–54). London: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4471-4402-1-2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Erbilek, M., & Toygar, O. (2009). Recognizing partially occluded irises using subpattern-based approaches. In 2009 24th international symposium on computer and information sciences (pp. 606–610). https://doi.org/10.1109/ISCIS.2009.5291890
- 9.Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences: CASIA Iris Image Database (2010). http://biometrics.idealtest.org/.
- 10.Ives, R. W., Guidry, A. J., & Etter, D. M. (2004). Iris recognition using histogram analysis. In Conference record of the thirty-eighth asilomar conference on signals, systems and computers, 2004,(Vol. 1, pp. 562–566). https://doi.org/10.1109/ACSSC.2004.1399196
- 12.Kerekes, R., Balakrishnan, N., Thornton, J., Savvides, M., & Kumar, B. V. K. V. (2007) Graphical model approach to iris matching under deformation and occlusion. In CVPR (pp. 1–6). IEEE Computer Society. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~muralib/cvprDraft.pdf
- 14.Liu, J. (2011). A novel image deblurring method to improve iris recognition accuracy. In IEEE international joint conference on biometrics (pp. 1–8)Google Scholar
- 15.Miyazawa, K., Ito, K., Aoki, T., Kobayashi, K., & Nakajima, H. (2005). An efficient iris recognition algorithm using phase-based image matching. In IEEE international conference on image processing 2005 (Vol. 2, pp. II49–II52). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2005.1529988
- 16.Pavelieva, E. A. (2013). Searching for correspondences between the key points of the images of the irises of the eyes using the method of the projected phase correlation. Systems and Means of Informatics, 23(2), 74–88.Google Scholar
- 17.Phang, S. S., Boles, W. W., & Collins, M. J.(2006). Tracking iris surface deformation using elastic graph matching. In Proceedings of the twenty-first international conference, image and vision computing new zealand (IVCNZ2006), Great Barrier Island, New Zealand (pp. 3–8)Google Scholar
- 19.Songjang, T., & Thainimit, S. (2015). Tracking and modeling human iris surface deformation. In 2015 12th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON) (pp. 1–5). https://doi.org/10.1109/ECTICon.2015.7207025
- 21.Thainimit, S., Alexandre, L., & de Almeida, V. (2013). Iris surface deformation and normalization. In 2013 13th international symposium on communications and information technologies (ISCIT) (pp. 501–506). https://doi.org/10.1109/ISCIT.2013.6645910.
- 22.Vivekanand, D., Schmid, N. A., & Fahmy, G. (2005). Performance evaluation of iris-based recognition system implementing PCA and ICA encoding techniques. In Proceedings volume 5779, biometric technology for human identification II. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.604201.
- 25.Zhang, M., Sun, Z., & Tan, T. (2011). Deformable daisy matcher for robust iris recognition. In 2011 18th IEEE international conference on image processing (pp. 3189–3192). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2011.6116346