DRADS: depth and reliability aware delay sensitive cooperative routing for underwater wireless sensor networks
- 83 Downloads
In this paper, depth and reliability aware delay sensitive (DRADS), interference aware DRADS (iDRADS) and cooperative iDRADS (Co-iDRADS) routing protocols are proposed for maximizing network good-put while minimizing end-to-end delay. We have introduced a new metric called depth threshold to minimize the number of hops between source and destination while ensuring successful packet delivery. Our interference aware and co-operative routing based algorithms select the best relay node at each hop. Extensive simulation results validate that the proposed routing techniques perform better than the selected existing ones in terms of good-put and energy cost of the network.
KeywordsUnderwater wireless sensor networks Depth Cooperation Reliability Energy efficiency
This work was supported by the Deanship of Scientific Research, King Saud University, under Grant RG-1435-0037.
- 1.Javed, U., Suchara, M., He, J., & Rexford, J. (2009 January). Multipath protocol for delay-sensitive traffic. In 2009 first international communication systems and networks and workshops, IEEE, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 3.Javaid, N., Jafri, M. R., Ahmed, S., Jamil, M., Khan, Z. A., Qasim, U., & Al-Saleh, S. S. (2015). Delay-sensitive routing schemes for underwater acoustic sensor networks. In International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 2015, 13, Article ID 532676. doi: 10.1155/2015/532676.
- 4.Yan, H., Shi, Z. J., & Cui, J. H. (2008). DBR: Depth-based routing for underwater sensor networks. In NETWORKING 2008 ad hoc and sensor networks, wireless networks, next generation internet, pp. 72–86. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 5.Wahid, A., Lee, S., Jeong, H. J., & Kim, D. (2011). Eedbr: Energy-efficient depth-based routing protocol for underwater wireless sensor networks. Advanced Computer Science and Information Technology (pp. 223–234). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 7.Kartha, J. J., & Jacob, L. (2015). Delay and lifetime performance of underwater wireless sensor networks with mobile element based data collection. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 2015, 1–22.Google Scholar
- 10.Noh, Y., Wang, P., Lee, U., Torres, D., & Gerla, M., (2010 October). DOTS: A propagation delay-aware opportunistic MAC protocol for underwater sensor networks. In 2010 18th IEEE international conference on network protocols (ICNP), IEEE, pp. 183–192.Google Scholar
- 11.Noh, Y., Lee, U., Lee, S. R., Wang, P., Vieira, L., Cui, J., Gerla, M., & Kim, K. (2015). Pressure routing for underwater sensor networks. In INFOCOM, pp. 1676–1684, 2010.Google Scholar
- 12.Hegde, P., Meghashree, M., Bhat, S. S., & Krishna Kumar, L. (2015 June). A self adaptive MAC layer and routing layer framework for delay-tolerent underwater wireless sensor networks. In 2015 IEEE International Advance Computing Conference (IACC), IEEE, pp. 440–443.Google Scholar
- 13.Guo, X., Frater, M. R., & Ryan, M. J. (2007 May). A propagation-delay-tolerant collision avoidance protocol for underwater acoustic sensor networks. In OCEANS 2006-Asia Pacific, IEEE, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 16.Syed, A.A., Ye, W., & Heidemann, J. (2008 April). T-Lohi: A new class of MAC protocols for underwater acoustic sensor networks. In The 27th conference on computer communications INFOCOM 2008, pp. 1–9, IEEE, 13–18 April 2008.Google Scholar
- 17.Shakeel, U., Javaid, N., Ejaz, M., Zarar, S., & Hafeez, T. (2015 November). Improved interference aware EEDBR protocol for underwater wireless sensor networks. In 2015 10th international conference on broadband and wireless computing, communication and applications (BWCCA), IEEE, pp. 232–239.Google Scholar
- 18.Maqsood, H., Javaid, N., Zain-ul-Abidin, M., Ejaz, M., & Shakeel, U. (2015 November). Energy balanced interference aware energy efficient depth base routing protocol for UWSNs. In 2015 10th international conference on broadband and wireless computing, communication and applications (BWCCA), IEEE, pp. 13–19.Google Scholar
- 19.Shashaj, A., Petroccia, R., & Petrioli, C., (2014 September). Energy efficient interference-aware routing and scheduling in underwater sensor networks. In Oceans-St. John’s, IEEE, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 20.Javaid, N., Jafri, M. R., Khan, Z. A., Qasim, U., Alghamdi, T. A., & Ali, M. (2014). Iamctd: Improved adaptive mobility of courier nodes in threshold-optimized dbr protocol for underwater wireless sensor networks’. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 2014, 1–12.Google Scholar
- 25.Diamant, R., Casari, P., & Zorzi, M. (2016). A TDMA-based MAC protocol exploiting the near-far effect in underwater acoustic networks. In MTS/IEEE OCEANS, pp. 1–5, 10–13 April 2016.Google Scholar