An RSSI-based localization algorithm for outliers suppression in wireless sensor networks
- 568 Downloads
Node localization technology is one of the most important technologies in wireless sensor networks. Due to the advantages of saving and convenience, received signal strength indication (RSSI) technology is widely taken to measure the distance between the sensor nodes, and then trilateral localization algorithm which is one of the classic algorithms can calculate the position result quickly. However, the result always comes with an irregularly wide error. Environment, temperature and electromagnetism are generally considered the interference factors, which have been widely researched. From another angle, this study focuses on the error of the algorithm itself, and discusses the stability of equations. A trilateral localization algorithm for outliers suppression is proposed. Through a large number of simulation, it is demonstrated that the proposed algorithm has a good performance than classic trilateral algorithm based-on the nearest three anchor nodes. A significant meaning of this research is that the deepest source of gross errors has been found when we use classic trilateral algorithm.
KeywordsLocalization algorithm Trilateral algorithm Outliers suppression RSSI WSNs
The authors would like to thank all members of their team and the reviewers who have contributed to improving the quality of this paper. This work was supported in part by the National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program) and National Science and Technology Support Program.
- 2.Jang, S.-W., Cho, S.-Y., & Lee, G.-S. (2014). An intelligent guardrail context-awareness system based on acceleration sensors in ubiquitous sensor networks. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 2014, 1–10.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, C., Zhou, X., Gao, C., & Wang, C. (2008). On improving the precision of localization with gross error removal. In 28th international conference on distributed computing systems workshops, 2008 . ICDCS’08 (pp. 144–149). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, Y. C., Sun, W. C., & Juang, J. C. (2010). Outlier detection technique for RSS-based localization problems in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of SICE annual conference, 2010 (pp. 657–662). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, L., Wang, X., & Du, X. (2010). Some issues on WSN localization based on MLE. In 8th world congress on intelligent control and automation (WCICA), 2010 (pp. 796–800). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 17.Rencheng, J., Bo, P., Lisha, M., & Teng, G. (2009). Research on localization method based on RSSI ranging-error compensation. In 5th international conference on wireless communications, networking and mobile computing, 2009 . WiCom’09 (pp. 1–3). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 18.Lu, G., Krishnamachari, B., & Raghavendra, C. S. (2004). Performance evaluation of the IEEE 802.15.4 MAC for low-rate low-power wireless networks. In IEEE international conference on performance, computing, and communications, 2004 (pp. 701–706). IEEE.Google Scholar