Metadata-guided evaluation of resource-constrained queries in content caching based wireless networks
- 137 Downloads
Recent years have witnessed the emergence of data-centric storage that provides energy-efficient data dissemination and organization in mobile wireless environments. However, limited resources of wireless devices bring unique challenges to data access and information sharing. To address these challenges, we introduce the concept of content caching networks, in which the collected data will be stored by its contents in a distributed manner, while the data in the network is cached for a certain period of time before it is sent to a centralized storage space for backup. Furthermore, we propose a metadata-guided query evaluation approach to achieve query efficiency in content caching networks. By this approach, each cache node will maintain the metadata that summarizes the data content on itself. Queries will be evaluated first on the metadata before on the cached data. By ensuring that queries will only be evaluated on relevant nodes, the metadata-guided query evaluation approach can dramatically improve the performance of query evaluation. We design efficient algorithms to construct metadata for both numerical and categorical data types. Our theoretical and empirical results both show that our metadata-guided approach can accelerate query evaluation significantly, while achieving the memory requirements on wireless devices.
KeywordsResource-constrained queries Content caching networks Wireless networks Metadata Efficient query evaluation
- 1.Shenker, S., Ratnasamy, S., Karp, B., Govindan, R., & Estrin, D. (2003). Data-centric storage in sensornets. ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review archive, 33.Google Scholar
- 2.Ghose, A., Grossklags, J., & Chuang, J. (2003). Resilient data-centric storage in wireless ad-hoc sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 4th international conference on mobile data management, pp. 45–62.Google Scholar
- 3.Shao, M., Zhu, S., Zhang, W., & Cao, G. (2007). pDCS: Security and privacy support for data-centric sensor networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer communications (INFOCOM).Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang, W., Cao, G., & Porta, T. L. (2003). Data dissemination with ring-base index for wireless sensor networks. In IEEE international conference on network protocols (ICNP).Google Scholar
- 5.RatNasamy, S., karp, B., Yin, L., Yu, F., Estrin, D., Govindan, R. & Shenker, S. (2002). GHT: A geographic hash table for data-centric storage. In ACM international workshop on wireless sensor networks and applications.Google Scholar
- 6.Li, J., Chou, P., & Zhang, C. (2004). Mutualcast: An efficient mechanism for content distribution in a peer-to-peer (p2p) network. Microsoft Research TechReport (MSR-TR-2004-100), 100.Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, H., Liu, R., Zheng, X., Chen, Y., & Liu, H. (2009). To do or not to do: metadata-guided query evaluation in content caching networks. In Proceedings of the 28th IEEE conference on global telecommunications, pp. 4524–4529.Google Scholar
- 8.W3C, Extensihle markup language (xml). http://www.w3.org/XM.
- 9.W3C, Xpath 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/xpat.
- 10.Gottlob, G., Koch, C., & Pichler, R. (2003). The complexity of xpath query evaluation. In Proceedings of the ACM international conference on principles of database systems (PODS), pp. 179–190.Google Scholar
- 11.Gottlob, G., Koch, C., & Pichler, R. (2003). Xpath query evaluation: Improving time and space efficiency. In Proceedings of the 19th IEEE international conference on data engineering (ICDE), pp. 379–390.Google Scholar
- 12.Gottlob, G., Koch, C., & Pichler, R. (2002). Efficient algorithms for processing xpath queries. In Proceedings of the 28th international conference on very large data bases (VLDB).Google Scholar
- 13.Lloyd, S. (1982). Least squares quantization in pcm. In IEEE transactions on information theory, pp. 128–137.Google Scholar
- 14.Brinkhoff, T. (2000). Generating network-based moving objects. In Proceedings of the 12th international conference on scientific and statistical database management.Google Scholar
- 16.Crossbow Technology Inc. White paper available at http://www.xbow.co.
- 17.W3C, Xml schema language, http://www.w3.org/XML/Schem.
- 18.W3C, Xml query language, http://www.w3.org/XML/Quer.
- 19.The open archives initiative protocol for metadata harvesting 2.0, http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm.
- 20.Sensor model language, http://vast.nsstc.uah.edu/SensorM.
- 21.Tinyml: Meta-data for wireless networks, http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/culler/cs294-f03/finalpapers/tinyml.pd.
- 22.Johannes, P. B., Gehrke, J., & Seshadri, P. (2001). Towards sensor database systems. In Proceedings of the second international conference on mobile data management, pp. 3–14.Google Scholar
- 24.Madden, S., Franklin, M. J., Hellerstein, J. M., & Hong, W. (2003). The design of an acquisitional query processor for sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 2003 ACM SIGMOD international conference on management of data, pp. 491–502.Google Scholar
- 26.Tu Z., & Liang, W. (2005). Energy-efficient aggregate query evaluation in sensor networks, p. 3794.Google Scholar
- 28.Ganesan, D., Greenstein, B., Perelyubskiy, D., Estrin, D. & Heidemann, J. (2003). An evaluation of multi-resolution search and storage in resource-constrained sensor networks. In Proceedings of the ACM sensys.Google Scholar
- 29.Galpin, I., Brenninkmeijer, C. Y., Jabeen, F., Fernandes, A. A., & Paton, N. W. (2009). Comprehensive optimization of declarative sensor network queries. In Proceedings of the 21st international conference on scientific and statistical database management, pp. 339–360.Google Scholar
- 31.Ee, C. T., & Ratnasamy, S. (2006). Practical data-centric storage. In USENIX symposium on networked systems design and implementation.Google Scholar
- 33.Litwin, W., Moussa, R., & Schwarz, T. J. E. (2004). Lh*rs: A highly available distributed data storage system. In Proceedings of the 30th international conference on very large data bases (VLDB), pp. 1289–1292.Google Scholar
- 34.Chang, F., Dean, J., Ghemawat, S., Hsieh, W. C., Wallach, D. A., Burrows, M., Chandra, T., Fikes, A., & Gruber, R. E. (2006). Bigtable: A distributed storage system for structured data. In Proceedings of the 7th USENIX symposium on operating systems design and implementation, pp. 15–15.Google Scholar
- 35.Johannesgehrke, P. B., & Mayr, T. (1999). Query processing in a device database system. Cornell University, Technical Report.Google Scholar