A lightweight stateful address autoconfiguration for 6LoWPAN
- 345 Downloads
Sensor networks have become increasingly important in various areas, and most current applications require connectivity between sensor networks and the Internet. By being seamlessly integrated into IP network infrastructure, sensor network applications would benefit from standardized and established technology, as well as from the plethora of readily available applications. Preparing sensor networks for IP communication and integrating them into the IP network, however, present new challenges on the architecture and its functional blocks, e.g., the adaptation of the respective link technology for IP support, development of security mechanisms, and autoconfiguration to support ad hoc deployment. In this paper, we focus on the IPv6 address autoconfiguration issue and propose a proxy-based autoconfiguration protocol. The proposed protocol guarantees the assignment of a unique address to each node in the network. The protocol is simulated and implemented on off-the-shelf sensor network platforms. The experiment results show that our mechanism outperforms similar network address configuring mechanisms in terms of latency and overhead.
KeywordsSensor IP-networks 6LoWPAN IPv6 address autoconfiguration Duplicate address detection
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Korea (grant no. 2009-0079878, 2009-0066418).
- 1.Montenegro, G., Kushalnagar, N., Hui, J., & Culler, D. (2007). Transmission of IPv6 packets over IEEE 802.15.4 networks. IETF RFC4944. September 2007.Google Scholar
- 2.Hinden, R., & Deering, S. (2006). IP version 6 addressing architecture. IETF RFC4291. February 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.Narten, T., Nordmark, E., & Simpson, W. (1998). Neighbor discovery for IP version 6 (IPv6). IETF RFC 2461. December 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Thomson, S., & Narten, T. (1998). IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration. IETF RFC2462. December 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.Droms, R., Bound, J., Volz, B., Lemon, T., Perkins, C., & Carney, M. (2003). Dynamic host configuration protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6). IETF RFC3315. July 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Kushalnagar, N., Montenegro, G., & Schumacher, C. (2007). IPv6 over low-power wireless personal area networks (6LoWPANs): Overview, assumptions, problem statement, and goals. IETF RFC4919. August 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.Chakrabarti, S., & Nordmark, E. (2008). LowPan neighbor discovery extensions. 6LOWPAN WG Internet Draft (work in progress) 14 July 2008.Google Scholar
- 8.Perkins, C., Malinen, J., Wakikawa, R., Belding-Royer, E., & Sun, Y. (2002). IP address autoconfiguration for ad hoc networks. MANET WG Internet Draft. July 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.Vaidya, N. H. (2002). Weak duplicate address detection in mobile ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of the third ACM international Symposium on mobile ad hoc networking and computing (pp. 206–216). Lausanne, Switzerland. June 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.Boleng, J. (2002). Efficient network layer addressing for mobile ad hoc networks. In The proceedings of the international conference on wireless networks (ICWN ‘02) (pp. 271–277). Las Vegas, USA. June 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Nesargi, S., Prakash, R. (2002). MANETconf: configuration of hosts in a mobile ad hoc network. In Proceedings of the twenty-first annual joint conference of the IEEE computer and communications societies. (INFOCOM 2002), (Vol. 2, pp. 1059–1068). New York, USA. June 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Kim, H., Kim, S. C., Yu, M., Song, J. K., Ma, P. (2007). DAP: Dynamic address assignment protocol in mobile ad-hoc networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE international Symposium on consumer electronics (ISCE 2007) (pp. 1–6). 20–23 June 2007.Google Scholar
- 14.Weniger, K. (2005). PACMAN: Passive autoconfiguration for mobile ad hoc networks. IEEE JSAC Special Issues on Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, 23, 507–519.Google Scholar
- 15.Cha, H., Choi, S., Jung, I., Kim, H., Shin, H., Yoo, J., et al. (2007). RETOS: Resilient, expandable, and threaded operating system for wireless sensor networks. The sixth international symposium on information processing in sensor networks (IPSN 2007) (pp 148–157). Cambridge, MA, USA. April 2007.Google Scholar
- 16.Kim, K., Daniel Park, S., Montenegro, G., Yoo, S., Kushalnagar, N. (2007). 6LoWPAN ad hoc on-demand distance vector routing (LOAD). Network WG Internet Draft (work in progress). 19 June 2007.Google Scholar
- 18.Woo, A., Tong, T., & Culler, D. (2003). Taming the underlying challenges of reliable multihop routing in sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 1st international conference on embedded networked sensor systems (SenSys 2003) (pp. 14–27). Los Angeles, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- 19.NS2, The UCB/LBNL/VINT Network Simulator (NS) (2007). http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/.