Increased production of laccase by Cerrena unicolor in submerged liquid cultures
The wood-degrading basidiomycete Cerrena unicolor C-139 has been suggested as a potential producer of the industrially important enzyme laccase. Basic culture parameters influencing the enzyme synthesis in shaken-flask and aerated bioreactor cultures were evaluated to improve the yields of the process. Production of extracellular laccase was considerably enhanced by the addition of Cu2+ in the micromolar range to a carbon-sufficient and nitrogen-sufficient culture medium (C/N = 16.69). When an optimised medium containing glucose (10 g/L) and l-asparagine (1.5 g/L) was used, and enzyme synthesis was stimulated by addition of 10 μM Cu2+ to the culture medium on days 3, 6 and 9, maximal laccase productivity obtained after 17 days’ cultivation in shaken flask cultures was above 100,000 nkat/L. In fermenter fungal cultures, the influence of stabilisation of medium pH on laccase activity was additionally studied. The use of a bioreactor with an automatic pH control set at pH 6.5 after 48-h incubation resulted in the enzyme activity of 65,000 nkat/L after 8 days’ cultivation.
KeywordsCerrena unicolor Laccase Culture factors Optimisation Increased productivity Submerged cultures
- Bollag JM, Leonowicz A (1984) Comparative studies of extracellular fungal laccases. Appl Environ Microbiol 48:849–854Google Scholar
- Enebak SA, Blanchette RA (1989) Canker formation and decay in sugar maple and paper birch infected by Cerrena unicolor. Can J For Res 19:225–231Google Scholar
- Farnet A-M, Tagger S, LePetit J (1999) Effects of copper and aromatic inducers on the laccases of the white-rot fungus Marasmius quercophilus. C.R. Academy Science Paris, Sciences de la vie/Life Sciences 322:499–503Google Scholar
- Koroleva OV, Stepanova EV, Gavrilova VP, Yakovleva NS, Landesman EO, Yavmetdinov IS, Yaropolov AI (2002) Laccase and Mn-peroxidase production by Coriolus hirsutus strain 075 in a jar fermentor. J Biosci Bioeng 93:449–455Google Scholar
- Leonowicz A, Gianfreda L, Rogalski J, Jaszek M, Luterek J, Wojtaś-Wasilewska M, Malarczyk E, Dawidowicz A, Fink-Boots M, Ginalska G, Staszczak M, Cho N-S (1997) Appearance of laccase in wood-rotting fungi and its inducibility. Mokchae Konghak (J Korean Wood Sci Technol) 25:29–36Google Scholar