Influence of anthropogenic activities on polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sediments from mangrove wetland at Dongzhai Harbor, China: distribution, sources, probability risk, and temporal trend
Sixteen polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in 37 surface sediments and a sediment core from the Dongzhai National Nature Reserve in Hainan island of China were analysed. The total concentration of the 16 PAHs ranged from 15.7 to 464.0 ng g−1 (mean value of 76.7 ng g−1) in the surface sediments, and 8.6–115.9 ng g−1 (average 39.3 ng g−1) in the sediment core. Combustions of petroleum, biomass, coal, and grass were the major pyrogenic sources in surface sediments, and some areas had petrogenic sources (mainly petroleum spills). Results of the ecological risk assessment show little negative effect of most of the PAHs in the study area. The depositional flux of PAHs generally increased from the deeper layers toward the upper layers of the sediments. The flux rate rapidly increased after the 1980s, in contrast to that of some developed countries.
KeywordsPolycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons Sediment Characterization Mangrove Anthropogenic activities
This study was supported by the Open Research Fund Program of Guangxi Key Lab of Mangrove Conservation and Utilization (Grant No. GKLMC-201503), the Basic Fund of Ministry of Science and Technology (Grant No. 2013FY112200), the Marine Geology Survey Project (Grant No. GZH201100203), and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 41306064).
- Cao LL, Wang P, Tian HT, Xie J, He YS (2013) Distribution and ecological evaluation of heavy metals in multi-mediums of Dongzhai Harbor. Mar Sci Bull 32(4):403–407Google Scholar
- Ji YN, Zhao ZZ, Wu D, Fu XN (2016) Distribution and bioavailability of seven heavy metals in mangrove wetland sediments in Dongzhai Harbor, Hainan Island, China. Chin J Appl Ecol Chin J Appl Ecol 27(2):593–600Google Scholar
- Li PY, Xue R, Wang YH, Zhang RJ, Zhang G (2014b) Influence of anthropogenic activities on PAHs in sediments in a significant gulf of low-latitude developing regions, the Beibu Gulf, South China Sea: distribution, sources, inventory and probability risk. Mar Pollut Bull 90(1–2):218–226PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liu HF, Qi SH, Su QK, Fu YR, Wang J, Mu Q (2007) Compositive characteristics of organochlorine pesticides in surface sediments of Dongzhai Harbor, Hainan Island. China Environ Sci 27(1):97–101Google Scholar
- Mai BX, Qi SH, Zeng EY, Yang QS, Zhang G, Fu JM, Sheng GY, Peng PG, Wang ZS (2003) Distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the coastal region off Macao, China: assessment of input sources and transport pathways using compositional analysis. Environ Sci Technol 37(21):4855–4863CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wei MX, He BM (2009) Primary discussion on change trend of culture ecological environment and continuous development strategy in Qinzhou Bay. Mar Environ Sci 6:764–767Google Scholar
- Yuan DX, Yang DN, Chen M, Xu PX, Qian YR, Wang JL (2001) Concentrations and distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and organo-chlorides in surface sediment of Xiamen Western Harbour and Minjiang Estuary. Acta Sci Circumst 21(1):107–112Google Scholar
- Zou YF, Li Y, Zhao ZZ, Ji YN, Wu D (2015) Vertical distribution and pollution assessment of heavy metals in mangrove sediments of Dongzhai Harbor, Hainan. Agric Sci Technol 16(9):1994–1998Google Scholar