Preparation of Highly Efficient CoFe2O4/Zn2SnO4 Composite Photocatalyst for the Degradation of Rhodamine B Dye from Aqueous Solution
- 149 Downloads
CoFe2O4/Zn2SnO4 composite was synthesized using a simple two-step process and applied as a novel-efficient photocatalyst for the rhodamine B degradation from aqueous solution. Characterization techniques such as X-ray diffraction (XRD), N2 adsorption-desorption isotherms, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), EDS analysis, and diffuse reflectance spectroscopy were employed in order to investigate the physical and chemical properties of composite. Higher values of the specific surface area, pore volume and diameter, and a smaller band-gap energy promoted a greater catalytic activity of CoFe2O4/Zn2SnO4 composite when compared to Zn2SnO4. A rapid decolorization of dye solution was observed at 40 min of reaction using the CoFe2O4/Zn2SnO4 catalyst, being 2.5 times faster than the Zn2SnO4 alone. Therefore, the CoFe2O4/Zn2SnO4 composite shows extraordinarily high photocatalytic activity toward the degradation of rhodamine B dye from aqueous solution.
KeywordsCoFe2O4/Zn2SnO4 Synthesis Coupled oxides Photocatalysis Rhodamine B
The authors are financially supported by the CAPES (PNPD - No. 20132633-42002010038P6 and FAPERGS No. 88887.195036/2018-00) (Brazilian Federal Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education).
- Foletto, E. L., Simões, J., Mazutti, M., Jahn, S., Muller, E., Pereira, L., & Flores, E. (2013). Application of Zn2SnO4 photocatalyst prepared by microwave-assisted hydrothermal route in the degradation of organic pollutant under sunlight. Ceramics International, 39, 4569–4574.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ghobadifard M, Mohebbi S (2018) Novel nanomagnetic Ag/β-Ag2WO4/CoFe2O4 as a highly efficient photocatalyst under visible light irradiation. New Journal of Chemistry, 42, 9530–9542. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8NJ00834E
- Habibi, M. H., & Mardani, M. (2017). Synthesis and characterization of bi-component ZnSnO3/Zn2SnO4 (perovskite/spinel) nano-composites for photocatalytic degradation of Intracron blue: Structural, opto-electronic and morphology study. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 238, 397–401.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oliveira, J. S., Mazutti, M. A., Urquieta-Gonzalez, E. A., Foletto, E. L., & Jahn, S. L. (2016). Preparation of mesoporous Fe2O3-supported ZSM-5 zeolites by carbon-templating and their evaluation as photo-Fenton catalysts to degrade organic pollutant. Materials Research, 19, 1399–1406.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Senthil, V. P., Gajendiran, J., Rao, R. G. S., Raj, S. G., Shanmugavel, T., & Kumar, G. R. (2018). Tailoring the phase, microstructure and magnetic properties of nanocrystalline cobalt ferrite. Materials Today: Proceedings, 56, 234–6237.Google Scholar