Novel Magnetic Nanocarbon and Its Adsorption of Hg and Pb from Water
Lead and mercury are two of the most toxic heavy metals in environments. Mesosilicate-templated magnetic nanocarbons with ascorbic acid as carbon precursor were developed through nanocasting processes. The nanocarbon showed effective magnetic separation and the maximum adsorption capacity of 80.6 and 66.3 mg/g for Hg and Pb, respectively. Langmuir model well described adsorption processes of both Hg and Pb from water. Magnetic nanocarbon could be easily separated and incinerated, reducing the volume requiring the disposal. This study indicates that mesosilicate-templated nanocarbons with easy disposal potentials may be good candidates for cleansing Hg and Pb from contaminated water.
KeywordsAdsorption Mesoporous Nanocarbon Silicate Radionuclide Heavy metals
This study was supported by the US Army Environmental Quality Technology (EQT) Program, the US Army Engineer Research and Development Center (Cooperative Agreement W912HZ-16-2-0021), the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC-HQ-84-15-G-0042 and NRC-HQ-12-G-38-0038), and the US Department of Commerce (NOAA) (NA11SEC4810001-003499).
- Bazargan-Lari, R., Zafarani, H. R., Bahrololoom, M. E., & Nemati, A. (2014). Removal of Cu(II) ions from aqueous solutions by low-cost natural hydroxyapatite/chitosan composite: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 45, 1642–1648.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EPA (2000) America’s Children and the Environment—A First View of Available Measures.Google Scholar
- Lagergren, S. (1898). About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances. K Sven Vetenskapsakademiens Handl, 24, 1898.Google Scholar
- Norouzian R, Lakouraj MM (2015) Preparation and heavy metal ion adsorption behavior of novel supermagnetic nanocomposite based on thiacalix  arene and polyaniline: conductivity, isotherm and kinetic study. 203:135–148.Google Scholar
- Yang Z, Lu Y, Yang Z (2009) Mesoporous materials: tunable structure, morphology and composition. Chemical Communications 2270.Google Scholar
- Yglesias M (2016) It’s not just flint—every major American city has hazardous amounts of lead hurting kids. In: Vox. http://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10790534/lead-soil. Accessed 19 Jan 2016.
- Zhang, P., Gong, J.-L., Zeng, G.-M., et al. (2017). Cross-linking to prepare composite graphene oxide-framework membranes with high-flux for dyes and heavy metal ions removal. Chemical Engineering Journal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2017.04.068.